Monday, October 08, 2012

Just when I think I have a handle on things...Things have to get less busy at some point!  I have lost so much time the last few weeks working on a correspondence course.  I didn't think it would take nearly this much time and effort, but it has.  I will have it all finished and mailed out by Tuesday, so maybe I will get a little breathing time then.  I usually love learning almost anything, but this is not fun.  It's sickening and depressing and leaves me feeling like I just returned from a long day at war.  I will share more about it once everything is finalized, and I will be SO happy to move on.  I suspect I will have some nasty dreams tonight as a result of the things I saw and read.

The animals inside the house, as well as wild animal issues/rescues have also kept me hopping and created unexpected time vacuums.  To some extent, I realize my life will always be full of the unexpected with so many creatures sharing my life.  It has been a rough year for squirrels!  I don't think I've ever had so many squirrel rescues in a year.  Since I thrive on a highly scheduled, pre-planned life and intensely dislike surprises of any kind, this will always present a challenge for me. 

Life's not all drudgery, though.  Last night we had a blast at the AFA Annual Chili Cookoff.  All seven chilis were delicious (though two of them had corn in them (GROSS!) that I had to avoid), and the desserts were so good that I've been thinking about them all day today.  I left with my friend Marina's peanut butter cup pie recipe--Marina and her pie were the hit of the night!  We were all so incredibly full when we left, that we were quite uncomfortable, but it was so worth it. :)  Whenever I attend an event where there is a winner (and therefore also losers), I end up feeling really sad for the losers.  Last night was no exception.  I was awake for a couple of hours in the night worrying that the losing restaurants may feel bad, and their chilis were all good, too.


We went to the Arboretum before the chili dinner.  The five of us (M & I and the kids) walked through to look at fall color.  Before leaving, I ran back into the house to grab my camera.  I stuck it in my purse when we arrived, and discovered when I got it out to snap the first picture that the batteries were dead.  I was really bummed to not be able to take any photos, but M had his camera, so I'm using his pictures.

I finally got some pictures of little Lexi.  She's looking for a good home--one that has more room and is less crazy than this place.  She's healthy, sweet, cuddly, shy, tiny, and about a year old.

No comments :