Sunday, January 27, 2008

I'm done prepping!!!

I wish I could say I'm done with my consulting project, but that just isn't close to happening. More importantly, though, since my class starts Tuesday night, I'm all prepped and ready to go. I'm starting this semester in much better shape than I thought I would be, and that's a huge relief. Now I'm hoping for the best class ever. I am really happy to be teaching an evening class again. The morning classes tend to be exclusively traditional college students, which are fun (and probably help keep me young and on my toes). The evening classes are usually a fun mix of traditional and non-traditional students. Non-trads, on average, tend to be more engaged and participative in class, which makes it more enjoyable for me. The different types of students really tend to mix well and complement one another, making the class more dynamic and a better experience for everyone.


Last night was date night, and Mark had another night of surprises planned for me. We went to Madison and had dinner at one of our favorite Indian restaurants. It was a bonus night, because we got great food (always get that) AND great service (that's not a guarantee). We then went to the Bartell Theater to see the Mercury Players Theater perform, "Pillowman". It's a very dark play by British writer Martin McDonagh. This is the third performance of theirs that we've seen in the last year, and we have been blown away by their talent in every single one. They are fantastic actors--better than we see in many movies, and they are LIVE! With no teleprompters or cards! We love live music, and we love live plays, art-- It's so exciting and enjoyable to watch people follow and live their passion. It was fun to be part of that last night. We even had a great ride home. Pink Floyd was playing, it wasn't snowing or slippery, my stomach was full, my soul had been 'fed', and...Pink Floyd was playing. For a few minutes, everything was right with the world. Then we drove by Petland. Not alright anymore. Shit!

We stayed in all day today, and it was great, actually. Even Dej was home most of the day. We played games again. The Garden Game. It has great art and is cheerful on cold winter days (oh yeah, and educational too). Luciana won. I was losing pretty badly, and L. felt bad for me. It doesn't bother me at all to lose, but it bothers her for me to lose. She always tries to give me her money or cards, or whatever the game "currency" may be. Anyway during the game tonight, she drew a card that said she had to give me one of her cards. She gave me the blueberry card. That is her very favorite card. She will do anything to get the coveted blueberry card. She handed it to me, with such a sweet look on her face. I took it, very gratefully, realizing what a sweet, generous girl I am blessed with.

No comments :