Saturday, August 15, 2020

So long samosas

I've reached the point in the summer, where I'm starting to get a bit depressed, as I know it's dwindling away quickly. The days are getting noticeably shorter, which means all too soon, it will be cold and ugly again.  I'm trying to keep up with the garden, while prepping for the one course (which may or may not run) that I haven't finished, search for jobs, and keep the animals happy and busy.  It's a bit challenging to stay positive and productive right now.

Silas was able to (finally) get neutered on Thursday.  I'm pretty happy about that for a variety of reasons.  About half the time I got him all diapered, I would notice one or more balls peeking out the side, necessitating a readjustment. I won't miss that step.  The vet techs spoiled him, as he didn't want to go into the kennel after surgery, so they made him a bed and let him stay out and get cuddled and babied by the techs.  They sent me pictures of him looking quite relaxed and happy with all of the attention.  He's recovering very well.  He's on antibiotics and I have to do a little more as far as cleaning the incision area, because he's diapered all the time.  Things are looking good, and I am sure he will continue to heal well.  

As soon as we brought him home and put him on his favorite ottoman, Froggie jumped up, smelled him thoroughly, licked his entire head thoroughly, and lay down next to him.  He stayed there taking care of him for the rest of the day.  He's such an odd dog--it annoys me to no end that every time I leave the room he screams unrelentingly, sounding like a goat being tortured, and he wakes me up earlier than necessary most mornings, because he starts grunting and pacing in anticipation of his breakfast.  He's such a good patriarch to all of the other animals.  He really takes his (self-appointed emperor of the house) role seriously and protects, defends, and nurtures all of the other dogs, especially when they're unwell, and that almost makes up for his many, many obnoxious habits.

The biggest downside is that he can't go for walks/runs in his wheelchair until Monday, because it puts pressure on his incision area.  We'll try it on Monday and gauge his comfort level to make sure there's no discomfort or risk of ripping his stitches out.  He gets pretty worked up in the evening when we normally do walks, so I'm trying to make up for his lost walks with some extra sweet potato chews (which he will do anything for).

Zinnias

We have a hummingbird that has been hanging out working our garden every day, and no matter how many times I see them, I still get giddy each time he appears.  I'm never fast enough to get a picture of him, though.  I choose to take it as a gift from the universe, reminding me that life is beautiful and everything will work out.  I haven't seen him yet today, but I'm still looking.

Campanula & Phlox


Fun foliage

Zinnia

No comments :