Monday, July 07, 2008

if we fall, we all fall, and we fall alone

L & Hunter giggling on my parents' front porch. The swing they were playing on was built by my grandpa, nearly 30 years ago.


Sunday we went to Madison for a going-away party for our friend and former director of Alliance for Animals, Lori. It was a wonderful party, with so many great people there, but we're all so sad that Lori is moving to CO! She's also taking our soon-to-arrive vegan and animal rights activist away. I suppose that's bound to happen, since our little star is currently hanging out in her uterus. We vegans never breed (at least on purpose), so babies like this are a rare, once-per-decade event. And I have to say, she is one of the cutest, even sexiest, pregnant chicks I've seen. She brought her banjo, and Rick brought his guitar, and they played some great music for us. I knew Lori was really into the banjo, but I hadn't yet heard her play. She is quite good, and it's the first banjo music I recall enjoying. Rick is pretty good too, and I had no idea he was a musician along with his many other talents. Helene was able to attend also, and it's always great to see her! We ran into horrible traffic coming back. The interstate wasn't moving at all, so we hopped over to 14 as soon as we could and took that route back home.

Oh, and I had a great talk with Lori's very smart and fabby (practicing my British words that I've learned from the UK ladies on my boards) partner Tom. He is so fun to listen to. I love his great British accent!

Today when I came into work, people were already waiting for me to fix things! It was only 8:25 am! My brain had to wake up must faster than it normally can on Monday mornings. I was able to get everything resolved, though.

We went to L's baseball game tonight in the 90+ degree weather. She was pretty unhappy that she only got to bat one time.

When we got back from the game, Dej had just arrived home from attending Jake's visitation. She was a mess! It's very hard to see her that way, and I can't provide any comfort. The whole thing is a tragedy that should never have happened but can never be fixed. She left with Jake R and Courtnee, and hopefully they can make her feel better than I could.

The garden continues to bloom with new and exciting things, which is great, because it distracts from all the weeds that have grown at an alarming rate! Here are more of my beautiful poppies.

No comments :