Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Seven

Today's good news is that we finished the puzzle. It felt so great to get back to it and finish it, as the incomplete puzzle has been taunting me since Sunday night! Even better, L was dressed this afternoon when we finished, so I got pictures this time. M even took one, because L was determined that we have a pic with the puzzle, her and each of us (since there was nobody there to take a pic of all three of us). L put the last piece in.


I had my first class tonight and a full classroom. I'm excited to get to know my new group of students. I always get so lucky! I swear I get the best classes ever!

My morning was not good. It was just ridiculous. L, Chloe and I were rushing out the door (on time!), and in the process of giving Daisy & Jezebel their goodbye treats, I bent over too far and spilled my ice-cold water down the entire front of my left leg. Then it got worse. I clicked the garage-door opener and nothing happened. I pressed it a few more times, while walking right up to the door. Still nothing. It doesn't sound that bad, but here's the problem: The garage door is the only door on the garage. I repeatedly start cranking it up as hard as I can, but no luck. It was really, really cold and windy. My left leg froze.

I then spent 15 minutes or so gathering all of the keys in our house. Literally, every. single. key.
I tried each of them in the lock on the garage door handle, thinking it would allow me to open it manually if I could unlock it. I had to get it open, so I decided to take the day off so I could really deal with it, rather than working from home.

I called the husband who called a locksmith. Mark, from Aaron's Lock & Safe (based in Beloit, WI), came a few hours later. He was VERY nice and tried his best, but no success. He was able to pick the garage lock with no problem, but we still couldn't get the door open. He tried to troubleshoot and asked if he could walk around and check the garage out for ideas. He came up with my last-resort option, so that was my confirmation that we were stuck with trying to remove the window. It was really cold outside, and he was out there doing his best. He only charged me one-half the minimum service-call fee, which was extremely reasonable. I would definitely call Aaron's again in the unfortunate event that I need a locksmith (again)!

My dad came by after work, and by that time M was home, too. They worked, out in the COLD, for quite a long time trying to pound out the small wood window, with six pains of glass. It was
secured inside quite well. We lost two pains of glass, but they eventually got the window pounded out, M climbed up a small ladder and into the window and YES!! got the garage door opened! My car was liberated at last, thanks to the guys!

Then I have to jump back to this morning. I noticed Chloe was limping around, and it got progressively worse throughout the morning. By lunch time, she was holding it up and hopping around. It was her right front paw, she's chubby and has hip displaysia, so hobbling around on three feet was not easy for her. I couldn't carry her safely down the stairs. I tried, and realized quickly that I couldn't make it even half way, and it was likely to end very badly. Fortunately, she was able to 'hold it' until M got home and carried her outside. I gave her a dog inflammatory/pain pill, and that seems to be helping a bit. I can see that her 'wrist joint' is swollen. If it's not better tomorrow, we'll be visiting the vet. Again.

Tomorrow will be better.

No comments :