Sunday, November 25, 2012

Progress

I am completely caught up on grading!  It's the first time this semester I've been able to say I have nothing left to grade (until phase 1 of the encoding projects come in tomorrow), and it feels great.  I even had some time this weekend to knock out some of the chores and projects around the house that have been accumulating all semester.

I've had this white dresser sitting in the middle of my living room for almost a month, since my dad sanded and painted it and dropped it off.  I wanted to add a very soft lavender color to the drawers, because I felt the white looked to stark in the living room.  I couldn't find the exact color I wanted, so I mixed my own.  I have no more left for touch-ups, so I'm hoping for the best.  I had a different antique dresser in that spot, so I transferred all of the CDs from the drawers of the old to the drawers of the new.  Everything fit, and we all love it there.  It looks much better.

Now I am moving the old dresser into the dining room to keep L's ever expanding homeschool materials/supplies in (the bookshelf we have for that is full).  That involves a lot of furniture moving and rearranging, and I'm hoping to get that done next weekend.  I kind of have to or we won't be able to set up our tree the following weekend.

Weds. night was my old college friend's annual T-giving Eve comedy show, so we (M & I, Dej & Russ) attended.  As always, he was fucking hilarious (the other acts were funny, too, but he's clearly the "star" of the show), and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.  I am posting a photo Dej took, even though it's a shitacular picture, and I have demon eyes, I'm happy to finally have a photo of us after 20 years.  Maybe next year's will be better.

Since I was forced ;-) to drink (two drink minimum--which is good, since two drinks are my maximum), I tried a peach mimosa for my first drink and intended to get something different (with mango) for my second drink, but the mimosa was so good, I had another as my second.

I have to admit that it was so much easier to go, and I felt so much better seeing old college friends with my "new" body than the one I had allowed to get so fat.  It was always very distressing for me to have old friends see me that way.  I just felt so much better!  

I wanted to go to Plan B  to dance after the show, but that didn't happen for some reason (coughCoughScroogeyNon-dancingHusbandCough).  Dej and I have decided with or without the boys, that we are going out dancing soon.  I LOVE to dance, and now that I'm back in shape and have the stamina to dance for hours again, I want to go out.

M is working with L on a botany unit for science, so they spent today looking at plant cells.  I'm not sure how much time was actually spent on botany.  They started out with plants/leaves, but then got sidetracked with looking at everything else they could think of.  I heard a lot of giggling, and I don't know the extent of what they were looking at.  I know that they looked at:  a layer of the sheath of a cat claw, bird feathers, skin, cat poop, my blood, and L's blood (her blood cells are much larger than mine).  They had a lot of fun, and I'm hoping she learned things as well.  

I'm trying to keep my nose out of this unit and just let him do it on his own.  I gave him the overview and the information she will be tested on, and he's a smart man, so I'm sure he'll figure it all out.  It's hard for me to not micro-manage things, because her education has been my responsibility, but it's good for all of us to have me step back and butt out sometimes.

No comments :