Saturday, July 07, 2007

I never even left the house today!

So much to catch up on... I've been busy and a bad blogger!

SATURDAY
A very productive, if boring and uneventful day. It was really, really hot! Mark had a work day this morning and didn't want to spend any more time than that outside. It was too hot and uncomfortable for me to work outside also. Dej had to work an eight-hour shift (her first). The three of us stayed in the cool house cleaning for the majority of the day (and night). We got a lot done collectively. L and I also got her jungle diorama done for Spanish class on Monday. It was a very messy process!

She had to make a 3D jungle or a picture of a jungle. That was the only requirement I got from her. She had already come up with this elaborate plan for her jungle project. I did not have any shoe boxes lying around, but I found the smallest box we had that wasn't yet cut up for recycling. It was about 18x24x8. I was concerned about it being so big. She was upset that it was so small. We compromised when I reminded her that a bigger box would be tough for her to carry. We had to run to Michael's yesterday for moss, floral foam, a bit of greenery, and a couple of other miscellaneous supplies. We stamped ferns and foliage on the sides and back of the box and glued moss to the bottom (except the portion that she had painted as a waterfall). Gluing moss is messy and icky--no matter how you try to approach it. We finished it up, and she was tickled with it. We even added a handle to the top for ease of carrying. I have to get a pic of her with it tomorrow. It's hidden in a closet right now, because the cats won't leave it alone otherwise.

The kittens continue to get stronger and more athletic every day. Harley is determined to leave the room and explore the house at large. I've been taking her out with me for little visits, but I don't put her down alone. If I put her down at all, I make sure to hold on to her. She's so tiny and timid, and I would feel horrible if one of my little thug cats hurt or scared her. Jasper and Oliver sniffed at her, but they were pretty polite--of course I was right there with my hand on her back looking at them the whole encounter.

FRIDAY
All four of us went out to Denny's for an evening visit and fireworks. Caylei and Nathan were there, so the kids drifted in and out of the adult conversation. Everyone got along, so we had an enjoyable time. L helped Denny gather up the (vegan) eggs from his chickens and new guineas--she said it was like an easter egg hunt, only with real eggs. Susan and Mark let off the fireworks when it got dark enough, and the rest of us enjoyed the show. Nobody lost any body parts, so it was a successful show. :)

THURSDAY
What the hell did we even do Thursday? This is why I blog and shouldn't skip so many days!

WEDNESDAY






We had hot but lovely weather during the day for our cookout at my mom's. Bobbie & Todd and Kelli and her kids joined us. The kids had a great time playing in the pool after lunch. By the time they were done in the pool, over half the water was out of it. L got to wear the new two-piece suit Orinda picked up for her. She's always wanted a two-piece but never got one, as Mark and I are not big fans of little girls in bikinis. O found one that provided a bit more coverage than most and picked it up for her. She's cute in it and is on top of the world that she actually has the swimsuit of her dreams.

My dad informed me that there was a Monk marathon on USA as well as the TZ marathon. How cruel to run them both at the same time. We didn't have much TV time during the day, but I had to choose between the two after all the festivities were over. I alternated, based on which episode I liked best. Both girls like TZ, but neither watches Monk.

We went to the fireworks, as usual. Normally we walk from our house to Traxler, but my mom's back was really bad, so we drove part of the way. We only ended up 5-6 blocks closer, but it helped. We got to our normal spot on the hill and started to set up. For the first time ever, it started to rain about 25 minutes before the show was to start. We stayed for a bit, but it kept coming down harder and harder. The majority of us decided to give it up, rather than stand in the downpour for another 15-20 minutes to see if they were going to go ahead with the show. We traipsed back to the van in the rain, and, once we got to the van, the rain stopped. L informed me that it stopped because she wished for it to stop. It started to sprinkle again once we all got into the van, and as we were trying to decide what to do, we noticed L covering up her face (which she tends to do when she cries). She was very upset and disappointed about the fireworks, so we told her we would just wait there in the van until the time the show was supposed to start. It was done raining by that time, and much to our surprise, they did go ahead with the show. It was a really good show. Instead of our normal spot, we watched from farther away, but we were still able to see everything but the ground show. L was very happy that she got her fireworks (and so was I). We returned home and set off our own fireworks, got the kids to bed, and then I enjoyed my marathons.

No comments :