Saturday, October 13, 2007

We've had a disastrous few days, computerwise anyway. Dej has downloaded so much music, that she filled up her entire pc drive and our entire music hard drive. I've been warning her for some time now to clean it up and burn it, because I needed to delete it. It's hard to feel too much sympathy for the girl who irresponsibly broke a $400 iPod and hasn't managed to find time to call about getting it fixed in almost a year. Anyway things reached a critical mass this week. Her hard drive was too full to update any virus definitions for a while, so our whole network ended up infected. UGH!!! It was pretty severe, so I had to fix it immediately. In order to fix it, I had to blow away all of her music. I found out after that she had completely ignored my warnings to burn it and get it off the drives. Why didn't she burn it, you may ask. Because she used almost our entire spindle of 50 cds already, to burn music cds for herself, so I told her she had to replace them. Apparently this was too big of an expenditure for her, which is odd considering that she has more disposable income BY FAR than we do. The hell of fixing a completely fucked up computer network was only made that much more special by the histrionics that ensued over her lost music collection. Oh, and I did give her the option of having me recover it, but she would have to pay $30-$50 for software that would do it (I couldn't find a good reliable crack--I tried). Although she blows three times this much in less than a week, that was too much to spend to for the 1500+ songs she lost. Oh well.

While digging through the computers and drives, I happened to notice some of the searches that had been keyed in to a Yahoo engine (not what we use for searches). In between searches for spy gadgets, I found "nekked peple" and "nekid peple". OMFG!!! Clearly not my teenager and definitely not my little one (she at least knows how to spell "people"!). The only other choice: L's little spy buddy, Hunter. We had a talk this evening about appropriate computer behavior. Thank god he can't spell!

The highlight of my week and perhaps my life, was getting to hear Peter Young speak twice this week and getting the chance to meet him and talk to him. He's so much better than I even imagined him to be, and that was pretty great! I have been fortunate enough to meet many of the biggest "names" in the animal rights movement--authors, founders of some of the largest most well-known organizations, really amazing people. I was more excited about meeting Peter than any of them! He didn't let me down. I enjoyed every minute I was able to interact with him and listen to him speak. He is intelligent, humble, compassionate beyond description, witty, extremely brave, and his life is a message and an example. According to my standards, he is absolutely perfect! I have been walking on clouds since we've met, and I am so looking forward to our future conversations! I am thrilled that Luciana was able to spend time with him as well. He is a hero to her, as well he should be. He was very kind to her, and she made him some works of art to remember her by. He even wanted them signed and dated. Prison has done nothing but strengthen his resolve. I will probably write more about this in future entries. I have so much more I would like to say, and his talks really inspired me--not to mention gave me some very crafty ideas that I hadn't previously thought of. I have some amusing stories about the mink murderers who showed up to confront and attack Peter (who they would have gotten near only over my VERY DEAD BODY!!). I'm just too lazy to type any more tonight.

No comments :