Monday, December 01, 2008

I am alive...

and at home working on recovering. Recovery was slowed a bit by one of the nastiest intestinal viruses I've ever encountered. One of the most wonderful experiences I've ever had was returning home from the hospital. I have rested better, improved faster, and been infinitely happier since coming home. Hospitals are so very, very unpleasant.

My cats are so noble. They've sacrificed ;P by lying in bed with me to help me recover. They are really quite the little givers. We've had lots of good bonding time. My mom picked up a lap tray for me at a yard sale prior to the surgery. It has worked perfectly for protecting my abdomen from the cats, who have a tendency to launch themselves from the floor directly onto my chest/abdomen. We've only had one little incident with Oliver landing on me when I was leaning too far back from my tray with exposed abdomen. It hurt in a way that words are inadequate to describe, and I screamed in a way I've never heard come from my mouth before.

I still get very tired, very quickly. I'm working on my stack of books now but didn't even feel up to reading until recently. I really didn't anticipate the post-surgical lethargy of being unable to do anything but sit and stare. I brought all kinds of books, books on cd, and my laptop to the hospital. Despite having free WIFI available, I was just too miserable to do anything. I watched a lot of CNN, slept, and just stared at the wall for a good chunk of time.

My family and friends have been wonderfully helpful and supportive and are making this experience as easy as it could possibly be. Thanks all!

I would typically never show a picture of myself in which I look this repulsively grotesque, but since I was only three days post-surgery, I have an excuse for looking this way. My girl came up to the hospital and snuggled in bed with me while we watched a movie. This was the first night I had really felt well enough to pay attention to the tv or have anyone on the bed near me.

1 comment :

cindwitehd said...

Glad to hear you're alive and well. Happy Recovery!