Sunday, February 13, 2011

Happy Vegantines

I'm still working on getting over this crappy virus, which seems to be just a cold with a cough at this point. I cannot wait to be phlegm free! M has been traveling and working every night & weekend. I won't see him much this week either.


We made it to Vegantines last night but had to wedge it in between M spending the weekend at the garden expo, as he was presenting both yesterday and today.

By the time I got all of the Saturday chores done, I was left with only about a half hour to get ready. I was dirty and smelly after cleaning the herbivore room, in sweats, no makeup, with horrible hair. Of course my hair simply refused to cooperate and I didn't have time to start over. I ended up doing it completely different from what I had intended. It left me no choice! We made it out the door, almost on time, but I was feeling very tired and incoherent.

My drink

Mark's drink (vodka & cranberry juice)

Lynn & Rick did their usual bang-up job on Vegantines, and it was a great night for all. The food was good, and so was dessert (chocolate cake with cherry topping). The speaker, Rae Sikora, was very good, though she had half the room in tears. Anyone who could sit through Rae's talk and not walk out of there as a vegan, simply has no soul. After the speaker was the dancing. It's the one time of the year I get to dance, which I really enjoy and I even had friends to dance with, as M prefers to sit and photograph and watch the drinks, and I can rarely drag him out to the dance floor. My damn cough was interfering, as it started to get bad and my chest was kind of hurting. I had to cut the dancing short, dammit.

The very dapper Rick and his gorgeous wife Lynn (they are the co-directors of AFA).

Rick and I

They didn't have the photographer taking 'prom pictures' this year. L took one of us at home before we left, and one of the women at our table took a shot of us at dinner.

I made dal and naan for dinner tonight, which all three of us enjoyed a lot. In the process of making the dal, I proceeded to drop one of the lentil cannisters, causing lentils to fly everywhere in my kitchen. I mean everywhere! I could not believe the distribution. It took me quite a while to sweep up the floor, remove everything from the counters to get the lentils up, etc. I thought I was all done cleaning, finally, until I opened the freezer and found that there were hundreds of them lodged on the refrigerator door. It was such a ridiculous mess, that I could only laugh.

When we got home from dance this afternoon, L found a woolybear caterpillar crawling around outside near our side door. It was around 42 degrees today, but I'm very surprised the little guy was just out and about like that. For the moment, she has him in a jar with some plant material and grasses from our indoor plants. She's going to need to put him out in the garage tomorrow morning, though, so he get can back to his normal life cycle. I just don't think we can keep him happy and healthy in this house until spring.
Oh, and lest I forget...my lovely new blog header was created by Luciana.

No comments :