Sunday, May 08, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

We finally had some reasonably nice weather today, though I didn't get much time outside to enjoy it. My family was overly generous with gifts again! I truly wish we could get away from the whole gift thing, but old cultural habits can be nearly impossible to break!

M brought me breakfast in bed, and L brought a beautiful boquet of hydrangeas--nikko blue, which I love but cannot grow in our soil. I took some pics of the flowers right away, knowing it's likely that the cats won't allow me to have them very long. I had a hard time getting a shot without a cat in it, because they were obsessed with the flowers, as always. I tucked the vase behind thing on my dresser and built a barricade of objects in front, so the cats couldn't get at them to knock them down (again; they had already knocked them over and spilled water everywhere while I was trying to photograph them). It didn't work, because by the time we had returned from lunch, they had been tipped over--water and flowers all over the dresser and floor. They are in a new hiding place in the bathroom, though I think Carrie has noticed them, so they'll need to be moved again.

Before we left for lunch with my parents, Dej & Russ, L was anxious to give me the gifts she picked out. She had a very pretty little bag on the kitchen table for me, which I loved and thanked her for, but she told me to look inside, where I found a note telling me to look outside on the patio.

I went out to find a beautiful garden peacock that I had lusted after in Target recently. Taped to the peacock's tail were cards--one from L and one from M--that they had made. I will find a special spot in the garden for my pretty peacock, who I have dubbed, Krishna.



After lunch we all gathered at my parents for razzleberry pie with vegan ice cream (YUM!!). My mom surprised me with a pretty green hoody. She had one on which I admired a couple of weeks ago, and now I have one of my own. :)

Dej brought my mom and I a set of Rubbermaid containers. We often send food over to her and our containers rarely return home. She also got me a beautiful bird (peacock?) jewelry box.

While I love and appreciate the very generous gifts from my family, I most appreciated that we were all able to be together and enjoy each others' company.

We will get to see Grandam Carolyn on Friday, but L called her and chatted with her for quite a long time this evening. She was outside on her swing for most of the conversation.

No comments :