Sunday, May 15, 2011

This kitten needs a home!

The last few days have been a whirlwind of activity and very little sleep. Thursday night brought a kitten rescue, and she is temporarily staying with us. She will be getting spayed on Tuesday morning. She went to the vet on Friday, and is healthy--no FIV or Fel leuk (whew!).

Friday my in-laws came at lunchtime to RBG for the plant sale. They took L out for lunch, while I went to my normal Friday lunch. I got a call there from Allegrea that I was needed for an urgent squirrel rescue. I drove as fast as possible, stopped home to get a ladder and a blanket, and went to the pine tree of death, which had sapped the poor baby squirrels. There were five babies (initially six, but one was able to get free when we grabbed the others) stuck to the side of a pine tree, about 20 feet up, and to each other.

We found when we got them away from the tree that they were horribly stuck together at the tail. Yvonne from Fellow Mortals picked them up, and took them back to the hospital. She anesthetized them, separated and cleaned them up. They are doing very well. The suffered some nerve and tissue damage but will be fine and released once they are back to 100%.

Mommy squirrel was quite unhappy with us, but she stayed with her two other babies.

The five little rescues were adorable but wouldn't let me get a photo of their faces. They kept burying them in the blanket (poor frightened things), and I didn't want to terrorize them with the camera. I got a couple of pictures but not a good one, unfortunately--part of a face in one, and the sticky tail until in the other.

After M returned from the plant sale Friday night, he grilled out, despite the unpleansant rainy weather. We had a nice dinner.

Saturday night was AFA's annual spring Fiesta. The whole family was going to go, but Dej and Russ didn't make it, as they had colds and were feeling poorly. My parents and my friend Julie joined us. The burritos were excellent, and the Corona made them better.

The silent auction went very well, and L scored some carved marble figurines--a cat and a panda. She bids on and tries to get the animal figures whenever they are at the silent auctions. She has quite a little collections of figures.

Earlier in the week, L made this beautiful canvas drawing of a cat, using pastels. It's hanging on the wall in our family room, and M and I find ourselves staring at it frequently. We LOVE it. It has such depth and really draws you in to the picture. The flash really fades it, and this photo does NOT do it justice!

I fell in love with a Theron Ris painting at the silent auction and wanted it in the worst way. It was two wolves and was entitled "Til Death Us Do Part." Money is a little tight (again) due to the unforeseen kitten expenditures (again), but I was seriously wanting it. I finally talked myself out of bidding by reminding myself that I will have plenty of beautiful canvases made by my own little artist.





I bought this piece by Theron 20 years ago at an animal rights conference. I fell in love with it, but I was a poor college student (and single mom) and didn't have much money. I bid on it and won and was just giddy. My puffin painting has been hanging on my (various) walls since then, and I still LOVE it. It hangs in a prominent spot in my kitchen right now, and it makes me happy to look at it.

No comments :