Sunday, January 22, 2012

Cool, clear water

Carrie's favorite spot to nap is in the "cat room" on a shelf where we store the quilts. It also happens to be right next to the heating vent, so she's very warm and snuggly.
Petey, Oliver, and Mimosa tend to hang out on the cat tree in the cat room during the day.  It's right in front of the windows, and they can watch the neighborhood and nap, alternately.

Fresh water is a BIG deal to me.  I can deal with hunger but not thirst.  I always have an abundance of water available to all of the animals.  Some prefer still water, where others prefer 'moving' water.  I think the water fountains are cleaner than standing water, so we have fountains on each floor in addition to the regular water dishes.  I also keep fresh water available for the outside critters.

I'm always observing the animals, looking for similarities as well as differences between the various species, as well as between individuals within the species. One of the things that is true of all of the species in the house, of course, is that they live for meals and treats. They are so sensitive to my food routines, that the moment I begin the first step of the routine--and sometimes even before I start--they are aware, tuned in, and gathering around me in anticipation.

That's certainly not a big surprise, but what I have found a little surprising is that their response to getting fresh water is very similar to their reaction to fresh food. Some individuals are as attuned to my motions and as excited as they are to get the first drink of fresh water as they are to get food. In each species, there are members who will appear and start drinking before I even get their water container put down.

Since I noticed this, I've made an extra effort to freshen up their water several times a day.  It's one simple, quick way that I can brighten their day just a little bit, and unlike the food treats I so enjoy giving them, fresh water won't make them fat, so they can drink to their hearts' content.  Except Daisy, who drinks until she gets sick and vomits.  Then she has room to drink even more.  She's special.

No comments :