Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Three-week overview

L got a package of canvases, and made gifts for Dej, Mark, me, and both sets of grandparents.  She used her favorite media (for now), which is pastels, and of course used a fixative to make sure they would remain smudge/smear free.

My favorite was the one she made for me.  The cockatiels are Romeo and Lily--a couple of very special (and strange!) birds.  They died before she was born, but she's heard much about them from the rest of us.  The picture is hanging in my room, facing my bed, and I enjoy looking at it every day.

Mark got a dragon.

Dej got a fox, because that's what she asked for.
My mom got butterflies.  My dad got a Nintendo DS from all of us, so L decreed that he had to share my mom's picture.  She was also determined that once he got the DS, he would never look up to notice a picture or anything else.

Mark's dad got a duck, because he collects ducks (or she thinks he does--not sure which).

Mark's mom got a picture of their dog, Bentley, who died a few years ago at the age of 21!  Everyone referred to him as Bentley the Wonderdog, because he just kept going and going.  The picture brought Carolyn to tears.

Before the holiday season, she gave me a random sketch of a kiwi.  It's so cute--it's still up on our refrigerator.  (The blue drips are from a little popsicle accident.)

Mimi playing in a dress that L likes to put on certain cats (there are only a few who tolerate it). Mimi was initially fascinated by it, and then quickly forgot about it and started playing.

Basil chilling on the piano.  Notice Beethoven behind Basil.  I asked Luciana to take his gay pride beads off and make him look more festive and seasonal.  This was her rendering of festive and seasonal.  Hmm.

Russ and Poppy hanging out together.




I (Finally!) finished the printer's tray shadow box I started working on before I broke my arm this summer.  I've been so busy with work that I haven't had a minute to relax and work on hobbies.  Once I got my grades in and completed the necessary critical work for my consulting job done, I wanted to get this knocked out and off my desk.  I finished and hung it, but every time I look at it, I think it needs something else.  When I figure out what that is, I will add it and maybe be satisfied with it.  It's hanging in the dining room--the one I really want to strip and repaint.  L is vehemently against the idea, and I keep hoping to find a paint color she likes enough that she is okay with the changes.

No comments :