Monday, November 12, 2007

I’m still in shock that it’s Monday already, and I’m back to work. My four happy days (non-work days) went so very fast—even faster than they normally do!

SUNDAY

We left in the morning for Dwyers’ and arrived a bit before noon . Dej was unable to go with us, as she had to work. M’s aunt and uncle were visiting from Michigan , and his brother Dan came to join us for lunch. He brought the new girlfriend (who just moved in with him), Beth—also known as L’s competition for Uncle Dan’s attention. I was surprised and impressed, though, by L. She and Dan were building with Legos and all on her own, she asked Beth if she wanted to build with them. L seemed to have lots of fun with both of them, so maybe that will help alleviate some of her resentment toward “the interloper”. After lunch, we watched the video of Mark’s Garden Smart show, as his parents hadn’t yet seen it. Dan, Beth, Peggy, and Gene all had to leave a bit after that. After they left, L wanted to play a game of Clue with Grandma, M and me, so we played until it was time for dinner. We left there dinner, and returned home a little past L’s bedtime. Next thing I knew, it was Monday morning! UGH!

SATURDAY

We spent the bulk of Saturday getting Sunday chores done and catching up with our homeschooling work. We had a Petland protest at noon . After than, Les, Jason, L & I went to Raven’s Wish (I think that’s the name) Gallery to see Allegrea’s art. Her work is on exhibit there this month. It was absolutely gorgeous! There wasn’t a single piece that I didn’t want (but couldn’t afford, of course). And there was one in particular that would have been perfect in my living room—we all agreed that the colors and style were a perfect fit. M was not able to join us at the gallery.

While we were at the protest, Dej called to say she lost her car keys, so she needed M to come drop off an extra set for her. She had a debate meet that was Friday night and all day Saturday. She called us before the protest because she left the headlights on and needed Mark to come jump the car for her. Thank goodness this meet was in town. Most of them are not. She later found her keys (just after Mark left for the hardware store to get an extra set made), but sheepishly refused to tell us where she found them. She returned home after the meet with two friends, who were teasing her quite a bit about where she found the keys. I’m assuming it was someplace painfully obvious, like her pocket or something, but she hasn’t yet admitted where.

Now that it’s dark early and summer’s over, we are back to our family movie night on Sundays. Since we would be at M’s parents Sunday, we moved family movie night to Saturday for this week. We watched The Wizard of Oz, and L ate a lot of popcorn. She’s really into kettle corn lately and can eat obscene quantities of it. Dej was of course out with friends, so she didn’t join us. She doesn’t participate in family movie nights very often anymore.

FRIDAY

We celebrated Orinda ’s birthday Friday (even though it was on Thursday) at El Jardin’s. We both ordered strawberry margaritas. Since my birthday was the 3rd, and I didn’t make it to lunch last Friday (L was sick), we decided that margaritas were in order. I do love a good fruity margarita, but haven’t found one that I like since Chi Chi’s closed. I find that most places make them much stronger than I like. These were good though, weak and fruity, so I thoroughly enjoyed my treat. Since it was O’s almost-actual bday, we told our server who brought out a piece of chocolate cake, complete with a lit candle on top. L asked for the candle, once O had blown it out. My strange, D&D obsessed girl proceeded to remove a chunk of wax from the middle of the candle, and show me that she had made mini nunchucks. She then showed me how they work. Yet another special moment I never thought I would be sharing with my 7 year old daughter!

THURSDAY

Mark was off again this Thursday, so we planned some family activities. We got up and went bowling in the morning. We had fun and reconfirmed our knowledge that we are all sucky bowlers—even with bumpers up. We had a gift card that Mark had received for Rice Bowl, so we decided to go there for lunch. We had never been there and figured we would be able to find something good, as we all love Chinese food. We won’t go there again. There were fewer vegan options than we typically find, and the food was bland, at best.

Thursday night, Mark had to attend a visitation in Freeport for a man who used to work for him. Ray was a very, very nice man and quite intelligent, too. His death was a surprise. He was seemingly healthy, went to bed, and never woke up. He had a blood clot in his brain. I guess that’s about the best way to go, but it’s always sad to see someone so young (around 55) pass. My parents took L & I out for dinner, and then we killed some time at Target.

No comments :