Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Easter should be in April, not March!

The biggest excitement we had over the weekend took place Friday night, shortly after my last post. M. & I were visiting with Allegrea downstairs, and Dej came running down to tell me that her sister was “wigging out” over something. I ran up two flights of stairs to find my poor little girl curled up in a ball in the middle of our bed, sobbing, with her whole body shaking uncontrollably. I was a little surprised by her condition, because I knew she hadn’t yet been asleep, so it couldn’t be a bad dream. After I got her calmed down a bit, she told me that she was lying in her bed writing a song (she now does this every night before she goes to sleep), when she saw something moving out in the hallway. She then explained what she saw. It was a green man, short—about her size, with a green watermelon shaped object on top of his head, with a little stick-type thing with a light on the end protruding from the watermelon thing. She described every single feature with extreme detail. So while the mommy portion of me was devastated to see my baby so upset, the logical portion is thinking, “You have got to be kidding me! Little green men”! I tried to make several logical suggestions about imagination, her eyes playing tricks, shadows, etc.—any logical explanation for this bizarre, yet obviously disturbing sighting. She was absolutely adamant that it was NOT her imagination, and there was no convincing her otherwise. At this point, I switched from logic to comfort mode. My stubborn little girl was 100% convinced that she saw a living being and nothing I said was going to change that, so there was nothing left but to help her get over it and move on. Who knows…the universe is full of things we don’t understand; maybe she really did see something like that. I lit up a stick of incense (still don’t have my sage) and performed a very elaborate “cleansing” ritual in the hallway and finished up by closing all portals in our house. She was quite relieved after that. We decided that she would stay in our bed until she fell asleep, and when we came up after Al. left, we would carry her into her own bed. She was very comfortable with that arrangement, which really surprised me a little. I thought she may be hesitant to return to her bed. She has slept in her bed every night since then, with no further incidents. Whew!

The weekend was completely comprised of Easter/Ostara “doings” and working on L’s bedroom. We have made significant progress in there. I can’t begin to describe the mess I found and have continued to find in her “clean” room. Every single nook, cranny, bag, box, piece of furniture with cracks/crevices was stuffed with whatever she didn’t want to put away in her various room-cleaning endeavors. She is a packrat! She has more rocks, shells, sticks, nests, pieces of god-only-knows-what-but something-from-outside than anyone would think possible. In one small, child-sized purse, I found several rocks and shells, a crab foot (found on a camping trip?), a tank top, two unmatched socks, a pair of underwear, some plastic animal figures, some marbles, a pencil, and some tissues. I couldn’t figure out where all her socks and undies were going, but as she needed them, I just bought her more. Now I have found a lifetime supply of them. I basically dumped everything into the middle of the room (and it totally covered the floor and the rocking chair) and started sorting into piles. All the clothes that still fit had to be washed, as I don’t know if they were dirty or clean when she stuffed them into their various areas. This has really turned into an epic event, and I will be so glad to be done. The majority of her floor is cleared now, and I just have a few piles that I am working on putting away. We have lots of “give away” piles too (and of course the secret garbage piles that I sneak out at night).

We had an Easter Egg hunt at my parents’ on Saturday, so Michael and his boys could join us. That went smoothly, though my children don’t do well at egg hunts, because they are not competitive (and Dej is on the lazy side). But all the kids got more candy than they needed!























Sunday we did the family egg hunt at home and L. got more eggs than Dej. I’m pretty sure the only reason Dej still participates is because half of the eggs have money inside. Dej found cash in her basket. The Easter Bunny brought L. a variation on the "povo" stick she wanted so badly. It looked cooler than a plain pogo stick--you can do tricks and bend and twist it. It proved to be a bit more challenging for her, though. :( We had a fairly non-traditional Easter afternoon. We went to my parents for my dad’s pizza (yea!!). Hunter came with us, and he and L. played while we watched V for Vendetta. My parents hadn’t seen it, and I enjoyed re-watching it. Dej really liked it too—I knew she would, as it’s right up her alley too.


















Today was a very long day--classes have resumed, so today was a 12+ hour day. I returned home from class tonight tired, hungry, with a headache, and was jumped by my selfish, over-emotional, bratty teenager, who thinks it's the end of the world when she can't see her boyfriend for a few days. UGH! And, I can't even console myself with the promise of LOST on Thursday, as I will be deprived of my joy until April 24!

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

okay I demand no more going to friday lunch until you do an update!! last post was March 25th?? what on earth are you doing that is sooo much more important than updating your page???