Wednesday, September 17, 2008



One of the sunflowers our little yellow finches so enjoy.


My parents cat, Emmy (one of their three cats)--she's the sweetest, shiest little girl and is rarely seen by others. She was a feral mommy cat who my parents adopted.


Monday was not a good start for us. Our sweet chippy did not make it through the night. It wasn’t unexpected, as when a wild animal is found in such bad condition, the odds are not in favor of recovery. Usually by the time they are that sick, it’s too late to reverse it. It doesn’t make it any easier or less sad for us, though.

L. started coming down with a cold on Monday, too, which also wasn’t a surprise. Last Friday when Hunter spent the night, he had a bad cold. Tuesday morning, I couldn’t get L. up and awake, as she hadn’t slept well and was feeling bad from her cold. I gave up on waking her and took the morning off of work to let her sleep and recover. We did get some very nice snuggle time while we watched Scooby Doo together. Both of my girls have always been great Scooby fans, as were my brother and I. Who doesn’t love Scooby?! Anyway, after she was up and around for a while, she felt well enough to go to my mom’s, so I headed in to work for the afternoon. I had a hideous migraine yesterday and would loved to have stayed home for the day, but I really needed to finish up this stored procedure that was irritating me on Monday. I seem to have a cold now, too, but it’s pretty minor so far anyway.

M. had to work late Monday night, as it was the plant sale clearance. I’m so happy the plant sale is done…well, almost done anyway. He decided to open it for one additional day this Saturday, but hopefully will be able to get someone else to cover it for a change, so he can take his first day off in over 3 weeks.

We’re having beautiful weather this week, so I’m hoping to free up some time to get out and get the garden cleaned up. I’m so far behind in weeding! Tonight would have been a great night to start to tackle that mess, but L. has been nagging me for days to help her with a blog. She has been absolutely determined that she needs to have her own blog. I set it up for her a few days ago, but hadn’t had the time to teach her how to post and add pictures. It’s been driving her crazy that she can’t post yet, and she in turn is driving me crazy with her whinging about it. I told her Monday night that I would probably have time to work with her Weds., and she will not be put off for another day! I’m actually quite interested to see what she puts on her blog. Her mind really intrigues me. We spent time working on it tonight, and she picked it up really quickly. Unfortunately, though, we found that when she went down to the computer and tried to post, the parental controls I have on the machine she uses will not allow her to post to blogger. I will have to spend some time tonight trying to figure out how to allow that without allowing any other possible dangers.

We’re very excited to have the opportunity to see PZ Myers (of the Pharyngula blog fame) speak in Madison on Friday. He is addressing a topic that I, too, am quite passionate about: Caught in the Middle of the War Between Science and Religion. I’m a great admirer of his opinions and his brain, so it will be awesome to get to see the man behind the blog. We are planning to take L. We think she will enjoy it and get something out of it, but if not, she is great about sketching or writing quietly.

No comments :