Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Wall

I popped into the girls' bedrooms one morning and took some shots of their personally decorated walls. Each of them has very individual and unique taste, and they each have a full wall that reflects their interests. I will post some close-ups of some of Luciana's very interesting artwork later, when I have more time.

I forgot to mention that Saturday for our date night, M. surprised me with tickets to the opening weekend of the Madison Symphony Orchestra. They had a fantastic pianist, Garrick Ohlsson, who totally rocked the Mendelssohn, Respighi, and Rachmaninoff. He played the same Rachmaninoff piece that Cecile Licad played a few years ago. Both of them were awesome!

L. lost another tooth tonight and is anxiously awaiting the tooth fairy's visit. Strangely enough, her friend, Hunter, lost the same tooth (well, you know what I mean--the tooth in the same position) a little earlier today.

She had a rough night last night and was up quite late. She was reading a very cute book she got from the library, called "Toes", about a cute little polydactyl cat. It's a kids book, from the kid's section. The poor baby finished the book last night at around 11 (we put her in bed at 8:30 every night, but she reads and reads--just like I used to) and came running into our room. It was obvious that she had been bawling. Her eyes were swollen and red, as was her nose, and she looked pathetic. Toes died at the end of the book. She was heartbroken. I personally go out of my way to avoid sad books/movies. I have enough real-live sadness and ugliness to deal with, that I certainly don't find it entertaining or enjoyable. The whole book was cute and happy, and then they just throw this sad, shocking death in on the last page. WTH??!! As a parent, I would really appreciate some type of warning or indication on the books, because she really takes these things hard. She ended up with a horrible 'crying' headache and being up even later, because we had to try to cheer her up and get her mind off of it so she could get some sleep. UGH! She and I came up with a plan that I will read the last few pages of her potential library books and filter out those that are very sad. It may not catch all of them, but it should help. I don't understand why they feel the need to put that type of stuff in so many children's books and movies. They, too, have enough ugliness to deal with these days without sticking into their 'entertainment'.

This will probably be my last entry until this weekend. Tomorrow night we will be busy shopping and packing for our camping trip, and we leave Thursday morning.

No comments :