Sunday, September 21, 2008

PZ Myers, still on a pedestal

Another weekend is coming to an end. Sundays are always a day of mourning for me (unless I am on vacation or don't have to work on Monday), and I work hard to stay in a good mood and appreciate the day. I've gotten most of my chores done for the weekend and may end up with a few hours today during which I get to choose what to do. L & H are playing and will probably be together until bedtime, unless of course they have one of their very dramatic arguments and split early. M is finishing up his chores now, and D, who has not yet started her chores, is out socializing yet again.

L has had a great weekend, although I'm missing her as my time with her has been limited. Yesterday Sonia was able to come over and play. The girls had a great time. I love to hear them play, as they are both very kind, good at sharing, and quick to giggle. Sonia's English has improved dramatically in the last few months, making it much easier for them to communicate, although they managed before. They were a flurry of activity, playing inside, outside, upstairs, downstairs--they really maximized their time together. Sonia loved all of the animals but especially liked spending time with the birds. She was here through dinner, and I was concerned about making something that she would like to eat. It was the first time she had eaten or heard of lasagna, so I told her if she didn't like it that I would find something else that she did like. She tasted it, liked it, and wolfed down quite a large piece. I'm secretly hoping that my vegan lasagna has now spoiled all future flesh lasagna for her. Lasagna made with dead flesh and pus cannot possibly compete with the suffering-free stuff, right! She will be able to come back and play for the day again in November. L. is already anticipating it.

This is a great photo of the girls, except for the remainder of L's (vegan) ice cream sandwich around her mouth. The child is incapable of eating chocolate without leaving some remnants of it around her mouth. It has at times been a convenient indicator that she's helped herself to something she was supposed to, but it would be great if she could conquer that little issue at this point in her life.

I was really proud of L.yesterday, when she sent Sonia home with some toys and clothing. Specifically, though, it wasn't just toys and clothing that L.didn't want anymore. Some of the things Sonia really liked, L.liked a lot, too. She was so kind, though, in telling S.that she could have it. While I appreciate that she's always willing to give away things she doesn't use very often, I am much more appreciative to see that she is willing to give away things that she prizes and enjoys. L. is quickly becoming a person who I respect a great deal. I hope she maintains those qualities throughout the oh-so-lovely teen years!

I've saved the best for last, and the best of this weekend--probably this month, maybe even this fall--was our Friday night outing to see PZ Myers. We arrived early, as always (we have to do everything on 'Dwyer time'). It was a good thing, too, as the room was already packed! We found the last three seats together and squeezed in. The room continued to fill and had people standing/sitting/kneeling in the outer aisles. Keep in mind, this is a Friday night, in Madison, with beautiful weather, and this talk was standing-room only. It thrilled me to see that many spending their Friday night improving themselves by attending PZ's talk. We had parked a few blocks away, and walked to the building in warp speed (still on 'Dwyer time'), then packed ourselves into the crowd. It was quite hot in the room, too. My tea tree deodorant was asleep on the job or something, but it was clearly not doing what it was supposed to be doing. So much for running up to PZ with my outspread arms for the psycho stalker fan hug.

Whenever seeing a 'hero' live, I am a little trepidatious. There are so many ways one can fall short of the icon status I create in my mind. This is especially true of people with whom I've only had Internet experience. So much personality can be
lost in person, particularly with intellectuals, who can be appallingly boring speakers. I'm relieved to report that PZ suffered no such shortcomings. He looked great, which I still can't figure out, considering he had on a buttoned-up dress shirt and a suit jacket! I don't know how he didn't pass out, as it was SO hot and stuffy in there. He gave a great talk (of course), and the wit and humor that I so enjoy on pharyngula were apparent 'live' as well. He was a very engaging, fun, and interesting speaker. I think everyone in the room learned and laughed, and that is the epitome of an excellent speaker--one who can teach without boring the audience. I so wish I had the pleasure of being a student in one of his classes! I think he would be fantastic in the classroom. He ended his talk with a cephalopod, as it was Friday, and the Friday cephalopod is a pharyngula tradition. Perfect ending.

L. took a sketch pad, and sometimes listened and sometimes sketched and listened. Her sketches were hilarious. At one point, I noticed her drawing a very lifelike rendition of the flying spaghetti monster over a jesus fish. She had brought with her a painting she made for PZ. She's taken to painting with flowers this week and has learned pretty quickly which types of flowers provide the best colors. She made a dog, completely drawn/painted with flowers for him. I'm not sure why a dog, as she has been drawing cats almost exclusively, but I'm sure there was some logic behind it. I wish D. could have attended, but she had to work. She would have loved it!

I spoke to him briefly after the talk and M. took a couple of photos. M's very indulgent and supportive with me and all my 'pedestal people'. I also got to speak with some local people, who are reactivating a science group in WI, so I'm excited about that. I would have loved to join PZ and the others at the union for beer and brilliant conversation afterward, but it was late, and we had to get back to get L. to bed and take care of critters. If we even get PZ in the area again, I WILL NOT miss another beer outing!

No comments :