Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Revolution, the only solution





<-- Day & night views of the Botswana picture, because I couldn't decide which I liked best.

One of many “bird-room issues” I’ve been trying to resolve is the window situation. I had the room built with four large windows, so it would be bright and cheerful and allow the birds to enjoy the garden. The birds eat/destroy any window coverings I put up in there, leaving the windows completely exposed. Exposed, clear windows can be fatal for the birds, if they try to fly through the window. I have tried various types of window clings and gels, only to find they fall down and/or the rabbits pull them down to chew on. The rabbits are able to get up to the windows by jumping up on things near and in front of the windows. There is no end to the havoc those two rabbits can cause. I even tried taping some pictures up, using Scotch tape all the way around the paper, and they ripped those down as well. I’m so happy that I think I’ve found a permanent solution: Window crayons.

Best of all, it’s a cheap fix—less than $5 for a box that will last for ages. Another benefit is that L enjoyed drawing on the birdroom windows and is looking forward to changing it from time to time. She enjoyed it so much, that she took the crayons upstairs and decorated her mirrors. The rabbits already tried their best destructive techniques, but the most they could do is slightly smudge the crayon. Why did it take me so long to think of this?!! That was my big achievement for the week.

Every year in December & January without fail, we end up having some huge, catastrophic car expense and a huge, catastrophic vet bill. M just made a joke about wondering when one of our cars would go, because it’s December. Sure enough, the Cirrus went this morning in a big way. We have a $1,700 repair that has to be done. I really dislike the idea of putting that much money into a 10 year old car, but M dislikes the idea of another car payment more, so we’re stuck with it. Chloe is showing signs of being in pain, so she needs to return to the vet. I can only imagine and dread how that will turn out!

So M felt the need to mention to his parents (on their last phone conversation) that I had injured myself, and worse, to explain the ridiculous and ignominious incidents (yes, there was another incident besides my fall/shoulder injury a couple of weeks ago) surrounding the injuries. Really, that much detail was not necessary. I read M’s dad’s weekly letter that is e-mailed to all of the relatives on the D side of the family (every Sunday night). I got to the bottom of the first page, when I read with horror, the lovely description of my little ‘incidents’. Super! Now the entire D family thinks I’m weird AND have the coordination of a two-year old. I’m okay with flying my freak flag, but really don’t need to add my absurd inability to navigate life without hurting myself on top of that!

No comments :