Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Tale of a selfish mommy :(

I’ve indulged myself, at my daughter’s expense, and now I’ve created a situation. L has always had excellent speaking skills, even as a baby/toddler. She had a small handful of words and phrases that she spoke with her own little twist, and we found those very cute. Through the years, she naturally picked up on and corrected her speech errors. We were sad to see each one go. I still wish I could hear her say ‘lellow’ (yellow) or ‘could you do me a favorite?’ (favor), and other remnants of her babyhood. One has remained, however.

I never made a point to correct her, because 1) it was cute, and 2) she resolved the others on her own, and I figured when she was ready this would go too. I wasn’t worried about it, because she is homeschooled, we don’t have nearly as much to worry about as far as her being teased or bullied. Somehow time got away from me, though. She’s almost 10!

I realized when she was talking to her Bharatanatyam teacher & class, and mentioned that she hit her ‘headfore’ (instead of forehead). That is the last remaining vestige of my little girl, who usually speaks like a little adult.

I’m going to have to correct her at some point, I think. She will be very unhappy with me, though, so I’m putting it off. I will give her until the end of this year, and if she still hasn’t self-corrected, I will have to figure out a way to bring it up. Or I could make M do it. Either way, she will be pissed at me, because she trusts that I will always tell her the truth and would never allow her to embarrass herself by mis-speaking. I suck.

No comments :