Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Across the Sea

I feel a little guilty about being a bad blogger, but I’ll have more time available soon. M gets home tonight from his very long trip, and my semester ends this Friday. Him being home means I don’t have to do his chores anymore, so I will have more time. Between his absence, my semester finishing up, and the migraine I’ve had for the better part of the last several days, I just haven’t had any time to blog!

I will be grading over the weekend, and once that’s done, I’m free for a few months. The extra free time will be so nice! I have my post-semester melancholy this week. I gave a take-home final exam, so last night was the last class for them. I will miss them, and that makes me sad. A few will stay in touch, but most will go on and I won’t see them again. I definitely get attached to my students, and it’s hard to say goodbye! I always enjoy hearing from with updates from their lives. I always remember and recognize them--even years later. I may not be able to recall the name until several hours later (it always comes back to me--the only issue is WHEN!), but I can recall everything else about them.

We had this sweet little bunny spend the afternoon & night with us last night. My mom & L were looking out the window yesterday and saw a crow drop a baby bunny into the road in front of the house. The bunny was struggling to flip off her side and hop away but couldn’t. L went and grabbed her and brought her in and called me. They kept her safe and warm until I got back in town to pick her up. When I got her home and tried to get her to take fluids (dehydration is a big threat to baby bunnies!) she wouldn’t swallow and just let them run out. She had a nasty abrasion around her little mouth/chin, which bled for quite a while. I turned our first floor bathroom into a locked, secured, sauna, to help keep her warm—she was definitely still in shock.

I did not expect her to make it through the night. Baby rabbits are VERY hard to keep alive after an injury. They have so many susceptibilities as a result of their strange anatomy. As an aside, I often say that rabbits are one of the best arguments against “intelligent design” babble! They are so very poorly ‘designed’ that if any creator actually came up with such a bad idea, it should be shot. Really. So anyway, I was shocked that she made it through the night! It was a long night, and I kept checking and trying to administer fluids. I couldn’t believe that not only was she alive, but seemed to be slightly improved and showing a little spunk. Her little eye is white, and she’s at least partially blind in it. I hope it’s an injury that can be fixed, or she won’t be able to be re-released. My dad was free this morning, so he very kindly volunteered to take her to Fellow Mortals, where she could be better cared for and with others of her species. I would love to keep her and rehab her myself, but I know that she will be happier and get better care with the pros.

LOST last night was…amazing! I was so happy with it. And I am still firmly on the side of MIB/Flocke. I do not like Jacob, and I never have! I am feeling very satisfied with the direction I believe it to be taking and am not at all worried about being disappointed with the finale. Well, let me rephrase that. I will not be disappointed with the content of the finale but will be crushed that it is the FINALE! I have already taken a personal day on the Monday following the finale. I will no doubt be up long afterward, participating in the live chats and watching the follow-up show(s) after the finale. Then I will need to read the boards and ponder the episode. Then I will have to re-watch all six seasons in their entirety, analyzing it with the new knowledge. Then I will have a deep, long mourning period, because I’ve never loved any show like this before, and I doubt if I ever will again.

M didn’t get to watch last night’s episode. He tried to tell me a good wife would wait to watch it until he was home. I laughed. Dej & Luke came over last night to watch with me, as usual. There’s just no way I could ever come up with the self-control to wait another day to watch it. He will watch it tonight, and I’m looking forward to rewatching!

No comments :