Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Poor Petey!

Petey is really struggling to adjust to the twins (Basil & Charlie). I’ve never seen Petey bothered by anything or anyone before, so this was a complete surprise. Since the twins came back, he’s been peeing in inappropriate places, often right in front of us. He’s also lost some weight.

I took him to see the vet on Saturday, and he came back in on Tuesday to have a full gamut of testing run. $400 later, we have found that he’s physically fine. I’m so happy he’s not ill, but this will be a little more difficult to resolve than a straightforward health problem would be.

I added an additional litterbox (because ten of them aren’t quite enough to scoop every day!) in the basement. Petey and Ivan like to hang out down there, but the other cats don’t go down there much at all. I think that may help with the inappropriate peeing. I caught Charlie waiting right outside the litterbox for Petey, so he could smack/chase Petey when he came out of the box. I’m guessing that’s why my poor boy hasn’t been using the boxes as much as he should. I have high hopes for this basement box!

We have been giving him tons of extra attention, affection, and treats, and I think once the enclosure is built, that will help a ton. He loves to be in windows and look outside, and I anticipate him being the first one to go into the enclosure and the one who will use it most often.
The vet also sent us home with a prescription for Prozac-type drug.

I am SO opposed to any pharmaceuticals that alter the brain’s functioning. I won’t take those drugs, and I wouldn’t want my husband or children to take them either. I think I will give it a try, in hopes of just getting Petey through a rough spot so he can resume a normal, drug-free life again soon. I can’t really expect him to work through the root causes and address the problem, rather than the symptom, as I would with humans. I know he’s unhappy right now, which makes me willing to try almost anything to bring his sweet little spark back (even his naughty thuggishness would be a welcome return!) as soon as possible. Even though I feel vomitty when I think about giving him the drugs, I’m going to start him today, because I cannot let him suffer. I still feel kind of dirty for giving him those horrid drugs, though! I'm planning for it to be a very short-term solution.

I’m also working my butt off in trying to work with the twins on being a little nicer and less rough, but I’m not particularly hopeful that it will work. I think the only thing that will change them is the natural mellowing out that will happen as they age. If only my boys could be as easy-going and unflappable as the girls! The girls have no problem with the twins’ behavior at all, but the boys have to get all ego-driven and territorial about everything! They seem to derive great enjoyment from getting any kind of rise out of the boys, so continue to stare and pick. If only cats were trainable!

I know the pictures don't match the post topic tonight, but I'm too lazy to go looking for Petey pics, so I'm sticking with my recent batch of garden photos.

No comments :