Monday, August 16, 2010

A change of underwear can be quite refreshing

If you can identify the source of tonight's title, you win my awe and 10,000 old geek points. I think there's one of you that may potentially get it. We'll see. It's true, though. Sage advice--try it. ;) L, out of the blue tonight, announced that she was going to change her undies tonight because she likes the feeling of fresh underwear. (She does her official change in the mornings. This was an extra change.)

Let's start my day when I was getting ready to leave the house this morning. I grabbed the delicious raspberry-banana-pineapple smoothie from the refridgerator to take on the road for breakfast. It slipped out of my hand, hit the kitchen floor, and the twist-on top that was fully closed flew off. That allowed about 12 ounces of my yummy breakfast to explode all over my kitchen, from floor to 9-ft ceiling and everything in between. It was a nightmare! I wiped up the biggest puddles from the floor and lower walls, so my critters didn't end up sick or sticky. I saved the rest of the cleanup to deal with after work. Yay. I enjoyed the four ounces of smoothie that remained in the sports bottle.

The day went down hill from there. Traffic was unpleasant, both coming from and going to work. I was already stressed, because I had a big project going into production this morning, and that's always very stressful. Long story short...two of the three people who played a necessary role in my big move-to-production had made some Monday-type errors, adding more stress and trauma to the move. Resolved that and moved on to a problem with C#.NET code playing nicely on our production server. UGH! My move was technically completed today, but I had to pull out some of the back-end stuff until I figure out how to overcome yet another C# technical glitch. I arrived to work stressed and left stressed!

In between the work crap, I had some animal issues that popped up via e-mail & text. In one case, my friend's beloved dog was ill and had to be euthanized shortly before lunch. I was near tears the entire afternoon, thinking about what the poor pup had to go through and the devastation his "mom" was feeling. It just made me feel so sad, helpless, and STUCK AT WORK!

As I was sitting in shitty traffic on the drive home, L called to tell me she had found an injured baby squirrel on the ground while they were out walking the dogs. She, my take charge little rescuer, had already gotten the squirrel secured and placed in our very secure, warm holding area at home (which is also called our first-floor bathroom). I was just trying to keep it together until I could get home--thinking I had reached my absolute limit of handling life for the day. I very selfishly thought, "Oh no! I can't handle one more thing tonight. How am I supposed to fit this in!" (Mondays are my late day, so by the time I get home, eat, feed the animals, do herbivore cleaning, give medications, etc., it's bedtime.) I castigated myself for my shitty thought, and told her I was proud of her and to have her dad call Fellow Mortals, so we could drop the little one off (a 50-minute drive one-way).

M spared me the additional car time today, and he and L took the little guy in while I stayed home and took care of critter chores and smoothie cleanup.

There were some additional minor stressors today, which normally wouldn't have been a big deal, but along with everything else...UGH!

I'm sure tomorrow will be better.

I actually sat down intending to blog some thoughts & questions on respect that were generated after a discussion my mom & I had tonight. By the time I got done bitching and whinging about my day, I no longer had the energy to proceed with the original post topic. It will have to wait for another day.

Here's Basil, the latest victim of L & H. They wanted to give him a chance in the dress, so he didn't feel left out that his brother Charlie got to wear it and he didn't. They also made him a crown. Unlike his brother, who brought sexy back, he just looked like he was going to kill us in our sleep.

2 comments :

Marc V. MacNair said...

It was featured prominently on an episode of Happy Days :)

VeganMom said...

:-D