Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Not What I Had in Mind!

my right! arm and the cervical nerve block they sent me home with. It just ran out last night. I miss it!

by my mom, Grandma B, who is guest blogging


Last Thursday, when I told my daughter, Amy/VeganMom, that I wanted to ride along to watch her and L and 2 friends roller skate because I was bored, I was far less bored than I could have imagined.

The hour drive to the roller rink was very enjoyable. We chatted and enjoyed the sights. We arrived at the rink and everyone went and got their skates, except me. (I am not and never have been remotely comfortable nor coordinated on roller skates.) I just wanted to watch the kids and Amy skate. She was an awesome skater when she was a teenager!

Well, I settled back with my book and read a little and watched a little intermittently; relaxing and totally enjoying getting out of the house for a while. After close to an hour, I picked up my book again when Amy skated up to me (Grandma B) and said she needed to go right away. I thought she was joking about being "too old and tired" to skate because she was sort of bent over and breathing hard. I was just about to say, "Sure, as soon as the kids are done, Old Lady", when I looked up and saw her arm. As I have experienced this several times with her brother, I knew immediately that it was broken and broken badly!! An inexperienced skater fell in front of her and she had no way of avoiding her and they got their skate wheels entangled and Amy fell (as did L).

We rounded up the kids, got her skates off and asked for ice, so that I could transport her to the nearest ER. The rink employees were very helpful and directed us "just down the road". About 25 min. later, we reached the ER. Time for x-rays, phone calls to Hubby, who was in Philadelphia, oldest daughter, her dad and the kids' parents.

Dr. came back in and said that he would put it back in place and she would need surgery tomorrow and she'd have to decide if it was in that hospital or the one in her city. Decision easily made to stay there and try to ease the pain and have surgery first thing on Fri. morning.

Time to drive home and deliver kids where they needed to be. It's now 12:15 a.m. and L wants a snack! Then off to bed so that we can rise early and get there in time to see her before surgery.

Surgery went well. She has a plate put in that I knew would frustrate her, but none the less, all went well. Phew! Now, just wait for her to be alert enough to be release. Now, because she CANNOT use her right hand, and she is right handed, you all will have to wait to hear the rest of the story from her. She should get her cast on next week and have some mobility then

I am very thankful that I was there to be with her and the kids that night, but I can think of many things that I would rather participate in to cure my boredom on a Thursday night! It really was not what I had in mind!

No comments :