Monday, April 23, 2007

Monday - THE game


So far it's been a pretty uneventful Monday. I'm kicking myself, because we forgot Luciana's theater class tonight. Her first class was last Monday night, and she had a blast. She made friends and took to the class immediately. We were so excited for her to come back. Then we forgot it. I kept thinking I needed to make something quick for dinner (the class would have been at 6, and I got home from work at 4:45), but it just kind of faded from there. I made dinner, and Luciana asked Mark as soon as she finished if they could play Dungeons & Dragons. They started to play, and I started to clean up and work on some odd chores around the house. I realized at 7--class ended at 6:45--that we had pissed away her class time. I prepared for her sadness and disappointment as I came running downstairs to tell her what we had done. She said, "That's okay. We got to play D&D." She then shook off my interruption and returned to fantasyland. D&D is her latest addiction. She has to sit right on the dining room table, so she's right on top of the action. I don't think Mark anticipated, when he introduced her to his beloved game, that she would actually want to play MORE than he did. They have a lot of fun playing together, and as long as he keeps the violence out of the game, it does help her sharpen her troubleshooting and creative thinking skills. It bums me out a bit, though, that we don't get to spend all our evenings playing family games now. I have to share my girl with D&D! Never anticipated having to say that.

Dejanique just called to tell us she's coming home early. We were going to pick her up from her friend Levi's at 9, but instead, she'll be home at 7:30 or so. Hmmm. Usually when she calls us, she's trying to get her curfew extended, not cut it short.
The D&D game has ended for the night. Time to check our turtles in the Great Turtle race. Luciana's turtle, Billie, was in first for a while, but then made a near-record-breaking dive (both in terms of depth and time). The big dive cost Billie some time, and now she's in second and fighting to regain first place. Allegrea's turtle is doing some site seeing and in eighth place, while my turtle, Genevieve is pacing herself in seventh place. There are only six days left of the race, and I will really miss the whole turtle thing when it's done. The curriculum that we've been doing on the turtles has been lots of fun too. We can probably continue that for a while, depending on Luciana's interest.

No comments :