Wednesday, August 15, 2007

H.O.P.E.

Sunday afternoon Anthony Marr, wildlife preservationist, spoke to a group of WAEN members and other interested parties (it was open to all, but only one hunter showed up) about methods for controlling deer populations. He listed several methods that would make the cruel and ineffective culling process unnecessary, the most promising being birth control injections administered to deer via his invention, the deer auto conveyer. His presentation was covered in an article in the Janesville Gazette. He has been staying in my parents’ guest room since Saturday night, so Allegrea and I have had the pleasure of spending a good deal of time with him. He’s a wonderful person and extremely enjoyable to talk with. I started reading his book, which looks really good--I'm very excited about it. He has a second book written but hasn't yet had time to publish it. He will be going on to his next tour location (Chicago) Thursday morning. I know I missed tattoosday, but I decided last night that I would rather spend my time talking with Anthony and Allegrea than blogging. We were up much, much too late (for the last several nights), and that alarm went off way too early this morning. There’s nothing more invigorating and enjoyable than spending time sharing ideas and support with other AR vegans! I feel very lucky to have had time to spend with and get to know Anthony, as do my parents. It's amazing that it feels like such a loss that he's leaving, when we've only known him for such a short time!

Luciana and Mark left for their camping trip yesterday. They had great weather yesterday, but last night and today is rainy and on the cool side. They took the big box of their D&D stuff and set up one room in the three-room tent for D&D, so that will keep them busy through the rain. L is in heaven, I’m sure, having daddy’s undivided time and willingness to play D&D all day long! I miss them both tremendously already!

Oliver continues to do well with his recovery. He was very spunky last night and wanted to wrestle and play with his brothers. It’s pretty difficult in the big cone collar, but they tried. It made me really nervous, though, because I’m afraid if they get too rough his stitches/sensitive areas may get hurt or infected. It’s a great sign that less than a week after major surgery he is trying to run and wrestle!

I got an e-mail for two more cat placements, Allegrea got a posting for 10 more cat/kitten placements, and I see several more posted online this morning. It is very discouraging and depressing to see just how many there are and know in our hearts that we will not be able to find that many good homes. Please, if you know anyone or are willing to open your hearts to just a little more love, contact us. You will literally be saving a life! Our area is facing a cat population crisis like never before—things are very dire!

No comments :