Saturday, February 07, 2009

We've had a super busy last few days. M & L went to Rochester, MN on Thurs. M had to give a talk there, and as he was staying overnight in a hotel with a nice pool, L joined him. I had to teach my class on Thursday night, so I couldn't go along. That left me home to handle cleaning, feeding, and potty duty for all 20 animals, by myself, after I got home from class. I also had to hang out in the bird room for a good chunk of the night, so little Fergus could get his evening free time out of the cage. It is totally impossible to do anything in there while supervising Fergus, the happy humper, because I'm constantly (every 30-90 seconds) having to jump up to get him off Fiona and redirect him.

M & L returned Friday afternoon, he unpacked, repacked, I spent some time with my girl, and then it was our turn to leave. M had to speak early this morning at a large conference up in the Stevens Point area. They had put him up in a lovely victorian bed and breakfast, which L had no interest in. We dropped L off at my parents', Dej & Joe came to spend the night and take care of the critters, and we headed up to the next spot on the M whirlwind tour. When we got to the B&B, despite it being dark, I could see the beautiful, giant PINK house. I love pink. I love pink houses. I love pink victorian houses. It got even better when we got onto the porch and I could hear dogs barking. We were greeted at the door by two tiny dogs, and it got even better, when I was introduced to the two resident cats. While I would still miss all of my babies, at least I wouldn't have to suffer the pain and distress of complete animal withdrawal! Our friend, Ed, who was also speaking at the conference, had arrived right before us and was staying in a room down the hall. We visited with Ed, Bob & Tom (the B&B owners, not the radio guys), Bonnie & Daisy (the pups), and Butterscotch & Peanutbutter (the cats), until everyone was ready for bed. We then went to our lovely room and watched some BSG on the laptop.

The audience at the conference today was over 200 people. M was a hit (of course) and had lots of positive feedback. I joined Mark and Ed for lunch at the conference, and then we left to come back home to get our girl. Shortly after we picked her up and got home and settled, she called Hunter to come over, and she's completely neglected us since then! H is spending the night. Maybe tomorrow we will get some time with her.

We had a nice time, but it's good to be back home where we belong. We have a lot of work to catch up on tomorrow. Next weekend will be insanely busy, and I'm already dreading it. We'll have a couple of weeks of relative sanity after that, and then it will get rough again for a while. UGH! I just remembered that I still need to do my damn taxes and Dej's. That will suck up a weekend in a very unpleasant way. :(

We were all so happy to see the sun today and enjoy the balmy 48 degree Feb. day. We were running around without coats. The kids played outside for a while (wearing coats). The animals were alternately playful and passed out in sunbeams. L came running up to me screeching very excitedly that she had found GREEN in the GARDEN!! COME SEE!! It's there...you really have to look, but there are some tiny crocus shoots there in the garden, between her and the tree.

The rest of these are shots I took today of some of our contorted trees. They're pretty, even without leaves.

No comments :