Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Dogs

My sweet little foster pup is stuck in a hospital cage at her vet's office recovering from her spay surgery. I have to wait until morning to pick her up. Luce, Hunter, and I went to visit her tonight for a while. Leaving her was horrible! I won't sleep well tonight. It bothers me so much to know that she doesn't understand why she's there or why her family left her. She's lost so much already. Sure, I know that her life will be a bed of roses from tomorrow on, but she doesn't know that. She only knows what it is right now. Scary? Lonely? In pain? Poor pup. :( Tomorrow, she will be spoiled! Her grandma & grandpa bought her some new toys. They are tiny, cute toys--just right for her.
As I typed the above paragraph, I had to stop several times for dog-related issues. First, I noticed Jezebel chewing on her nylabone, which had blood on the end of it. I stopped to give her a love and explain to her that she shouldn't chew so hard that she bleeds. She does this from time to time, and it really bothers me. She doesn't seem to notice or care. Both dogs take great pleasure in chewing. Anything and everything, so their 'boneys' distract them a bit from their naughty chewing. Meanwhile, Daisy in a typical Daisy move, decides to edge on in and take Jezi's boney while she's distracted with me.

Once or twice a year, Jezi stands up to Daisy's usual pushy, naughty treatment of her. Both dogs know Jezi could take Daisy out if she chose to, but she would never choose that, and they both know that too. Daisy made her move. Jezi, at the speed of light, snapped her head to Daisy's direction, showed her teeth, and growled. Daisy sauntered backward, as if she never even noticed the bone. I gasped and said, "Oh, Jezebel!", she looked embarassed, rolled on her back and whined until I scratched her belly, accepting her apology. Then because everything must be equal with these two, I was rubbing Daisy's little head, while she gazed lovingly into my eyes, and belched. It was a belch that let me know she was outside eating poop earlier. Once the gagging subsided, I gave them each a boney, and now they are relaxing. Ah, life is good.

Chloe has no interest in chewing anything. She spent enough of her early life chewing on metal cage bars. :( She is snoring. She snores like a man. My husband snores like three men. It's really special when I'm in bed, between the two of them, trying to get to sleep.

Oh, one more dog thing, that others may find interesting/helpful. I talked to Dr. Mark about little pup's car sickness. He said that it isn't the same as motion sickness in humans. It is a histamine reaction in dogs that causes them to get sick in the car. Giving them one half of a 25 mg. human Benadryl, a half hour before a long car trip, should prevent the sickness.

No comments :