Sunday, August 16, 2009

Happy 'gay day' :-D

Yesterday we took Nala in early in the morning to get her stitches removed. She left us today, and I'm still all stuffy and weepy about it. She will be very happy with her new family, once she gets over wondering where her family (us, especially Luciana) went and why she was dumped yet again. I need lots of distractions, so I don't cry all the time.


After Nala's vet visit, we (Mark, Luce, Hunter, and I) went to Madison to celebrate India's independence. L's dance school, Kalaanjali, was performing. We ate some great Indian food, although it was almost to hot to enjoy it! The mango juice really hit the spot! L & I both got henna mehndi on our left hands. I don't know how that poor woman could sit out in the baking sun all day, in all those clothes, drawing with henna. It looked better than any of my efforts!

There was no shade out there, and it was miserably hot. As I was waiting in line, I looked around and couldn't help but notice that the Indian women still looked great. They had on more clothing than I did, particularly the dancers. They had layers of clothing on, jewelry, makeup, and black hair, yet still managed to look dry and beautiful. I on the other hand, looked like a melting wax figure. I was all sweaty--wet, red, and shiny is not a good look.

We were going to go to the gay pride celebration afterwards, but everyone was hot and crabby. Mostly Mark, though. He was the crabbiest one. It's not fun to do things when he's all sulky and grouchy, so we just came home.

L had dance class today, which is in Madison. After dance, we decided to go to the gay pride celebration today. Somehow, out of "gay pride celebration", L & H got "gay day". All weekend they would talk about, "when we go to gay day", which cracked M & I up for some reason. We had a great time at "gay day" today, and the weather was much nicer. The celebration was on Willow Island at the Alliant Energy center complex, and it's such a nice environment there. We got to see lots of turtles sunning in the pond today.

Jamerika had a both there, so we got some good Jamaican veggie food, and enjoyed a few beers. We watched the drag show, which L absolutely loved. We couldn't tear her away from it. It was a lot of fun, with good music and dancing and a fun crowd. It's such a fun and relaxed place, with a very diverse group. We tried our hardest to get M to take a tip up to the stage to one of the drag queens, but he apparently hadn't had enough beer to go for that one. It would have been the picture of a lifetime! L is still calling her daddy a wuss-man, because he wouldn't tip a queen.

There were families there of all possible configurations. Families are made by love and commitment, and that is something that none of the homophobic assholes and no laws can take away. I love being at places where people are not worried about any prescribed social mores, and are able to just be who they are without any self-consciousness. Men in undies, sailor hats, and boots; women in chaps; and very blurred gender lines; kids with moms & dads; kids with moms & moms; kids with dads & dads; kids with mom & mom & dad--it was awesome. Oh, and lots of cute dogs. I wish we had brought our pups. I love that my child is totally comfortable with that and that is 'normal' to her. I wish the whole world was that way! I'm more comfortable with the GLBT community than I am with any other than the AR community.

My laptop is at death's door and unfortunately can't be fixed. I'm so upset and frustrated! I don't have money for a new one either. I went to bed Friday night, and it was just fine. I got up and opened it up Saturday morning to find that the display has a huge crack that wraps around three of the four sides. The liquid crystal is leaking, making much of the screen unviewable. It looks like ink is smeared around, and it's spreading quickly. Within a few days at the most, my screen will be completely gone. I will be very sad!

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

A,

No worries. Nala is having a smooth transition thus far. The ride from Madison was uneventful. she sat in Pav's lap the whole way. She kind of had the look on her face, like, "What's happening here?" When we got to the house, we brought Johnny Boy out and good thing we did because he peed all over, he was so excited.

She was kind of reserved last night. I laid on the floor with her, she was underneath the chair dining room table chair. i expected that a little, a new place, new humans.

At beditme, she first got in johnny's bed. michael had set-up a little bed made of a folded blanket, with her toys on it and she sat on it and then laid down on it while I laid down on it with her, when i got up she sat up again and eventially got up on the bed again, and of course, my johhny boy had to get in on the love. i cuddled them both a little while longer then put johnny to bed. Nala jumped down and went under our bed and didn't come out until this morning. She only had one accident yest.

Our morning started with a walk, introducing her to all of johnny's favorite mail boxes and her new neighborhood, they did very well.

She has been laying down the law with johnny who wants to play all of the time. they ran around here like wild banchees until they both got tired. I am mastering the art of the two armed cuddle because anytime i am cuddling one of them, the other is right there:)

Her main issue has been eating. I spoke to you mom, several times, this AM. Looked up a couple of things on the web. michael did put water in her food, however she hasn't eaten it yet. I put some water in my hand and she drank from my hand first and then she started drinking from her own dish, maybe she'll do the same with the food, i'll try that and let you know.

take care. Cresha