Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I need a waterproof cell phone!

I so enjoyed my furlough day Monday! A two-day work week is even better than my normal three-day week. It started out really well but at some point it turned on me. Then I spent the next 36 hours having one disaster after another. I think the worst is passed now. I hope.

I cut a sizeable chunk off the tip of my right thumb. It was an accident, and I'll just leave it at that. It's so bizarre and extra-specially stupid, that you wouldn't believe it if I tried to explain. I am so obscenely clumsy! It took a couple of hours to get the bleeding to stop, but it will be fine. Still hurts a lot. I can't believe what a hindrance it is to not be able to use that thumb. It has really slowed me down! I've been trying to show Mark how to put a bobby pin in my hair for me and work my jewelry clasps, but it's not going well. I will just have to look a bit rough until my thumb is back in use.

It continued to go downhill from there. If I touched something, I dropped it, broke it, or both. I left things like keys and phones places that required me back tracking a very long walk. The high point came last night. I was in a mad rush, trying to feed L & H before class. Mark was out of town speaking, so I had no help. Just before walking out the door to drop the kids at my mom's and go to class, I decided to make one last quick bathroom stop. It was then that my phone catapaulted out of my damn pants pocket into the toilet. I snatched it out right away and proceeded to try to dry it. Since I was giving an exam, it was rather important that I get to class on time, so I didn't have much time to mess with it. I've since dried it out, but it's still not working. I had a rather suckish night, but the curse seems to have lifted today.

I just got used to this phone (it takes me several months to become one with my phones & computers). Now I have to go through the stress of trying to chose another phone and adjusting to it. So, if you've called or texted me since Tuesday afternoon, I haven't received it. I'm really hoping that they are able to get all of my phone numbers and info from my card. I'm an IT person, so of course I haven't backed it up. You really would think after all of the information I've lost through the years I would be better about backups, but nope. I don't do it nearly enough.

Tomorrow will be a very full day of homeschool work, and I'm hoping to find a little time to grade all of the exams from Tuesday night. Have I expressed how much I hate grading lately? I really hate grading. I'd like to switch to the happy face/frowny face grading system. It would certainly be quicker and less painful for me than all the damn rubrics!

I also have a friend coming over in the afternoon to bring her guinea pig to meet ours. He may be joining us, because he's very sad and lonely in his current location.

L & I also have to find time within the next couple of days to sew up a bunch of guinea pig mats. We have all the fabric--just need to do the cutting and sewing. L really likes to step on the sewing machine pedal and go at full speed. The problem is that she can't keep to a straight line when she goes that fast. Sewing the mats will give her lots of opportunity to work on straight lines.

I made and distributed new catnips toys to the cats tonight, so they are being very entertaining. Except Ivan who is being an ass. He likes to hold his catnip toy, lie in the middle of the living room, and then growl at all the other cats if they walk in the living room.

No comments :