Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Addendum: It's a small, small world

I almost forgot to mention a weird distraction and perhaps the most memorable part of the evening at the Perfect Harmony Concert. The pianist looked very much like my brother. I mean, a lot like him! He had the completely shaved head, the closely-trimmed facial hair thing (I think of beards as being big fluffy, nasty things—it’s not a beard), very similar features, and very similar mannerisms and expressions. It was so strange. M. noticed the same thing, and we found ourselves staring at him repeatedly. It was so uncanny I couldn’t look away. I even looked up his name, thinking perhaps there was some strange family connection, and I would recognize his last name. It was really Twilight Zone-like, though. It was like we entered an alternate reality in which my brother became a gay pianist instead of a fundamentalist Christian pastor. That would be quite a mirrored universe!

Another little bit of strangeness is that on the way to work this morning, while sitting at a stoplight (in Madison on John Nolan), who should pedal right across the street in front of me but the guy who sang the solo at the concert. He sang, "In the Still of the Night", and had a beautiful voice. I've never seen him before, but since he was the soloist and had a very distinctive face, there was NO doubt that it was the same guy. Stuff like that always trips me out.

1 comment :

MB said...

I'm not a fundamentalist. That term comes from the 1910 books, "The Fundamentals," which is a largely dispensationalist book. There is way too much that I don't agree with from those books to be called a fundamentalist. I'm a reconciliationist.