Thursday, March 26, 2009

I was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar. That much is true.

Luciana wanted to make a bracelet after we returned home from dinner tonight. My parents wanted to take us (M., L., Dej & Joe) all out to Fazoli's. Not the best food by any stretch, but the company was great. We got out the jewelry-making box, and she selected all of her beads. She said she decided that she would make a pink bracelet tonight, and would make more colors later.

Notice the pink gingham...uh...dress-type thing she's wearing. Notice the several holes in the front of it. When she first received that dress, she was about 4. It was, officially a dress that fit her nicely. I think she loved it most of all, because it was a hand-me-down from her best friend Emily (who used to be our neighbor, but we dont' see her often enough now). She wore that as a dress as long as she possibly could. Even when it was still a dress, it got its first hole when Mark thought it was funny to pretend to drill her stomach, accidently caught the fabric on the end of the drill, and left a hole in it. There was absolutely no way that was enough to keep her from wearing the beloved dress. A few years back, she outgrew the dress but happily informed me that she could still wear it as a shirt. Throughout the years, it has become more tattered and holey. Every spring, when we bust out the clothes to try on and sort, I'm sure that this will be the year that the dress-become-shirt would no longer fit and could be retired. Clearly, this is not yet the year for that to happen. Maybe spring of 2010 will be the year?

2 comments :

em for mighty said...

as a little girl i wore things that i adored while my viewing audience shuddered. i thought i looked awesome no matter what my public told me. thankfully, i still have that quality. i hope your daughter can hold onto hers as well.

VeganMom said...

Thanks for the support! ITA! I've tried to always support my kids in what makes them happy, even when they wear things that makes other folks stare at me unpleasantly and assume I'm a bad mommy for letting my kids look 'that way' in public. It's not always easy to ignore the judgements, but I love that my girls are individuals and not sheeple! Thus, the dress lives on. ;)