Thursday, March 12, 2009

This one time, at band camp...

I have just a few minutes, so I thought I would do a quick post. It's been a busy week, with Dej & Joe here on Tuesday, the epic test grading, and we just returned home from a concert tonight. We went to see Synergy Brass perform tonight, and it was a wonderful show. I had to leave my class a little early (15 minutes) in order to get to the concert on time. I'm sure the students were broken hearted about that. M. was at the Chicago flower & garden show speaking today, and with traffic and construction, he made it back just in time, too. We all (M., L., my parents, and I) went together, and we all enjoyed it immensely.

I was feeling pretty accomplished this week, in that I actually got two little projects from my list taken care of. We finally relocated and rehung the decorative bird cage that Lila ripped out of the ceiling (by climbing into it repeatedly and swinging around). I also made a little storage thing for my necklaces. My jewelry box doesn't really hold many necklaces, and I've had so many crammed in there that they were hard to get out. I realized part of the reason I haven't been wearing my lovely jewelry very much is because it's such a pain to wrestle things out of the jewelry box and untangle them to wear. I did a little online shopping, looking for storage that my cats couldn't get into (because necklaces with shiny things make great cat toys) that wasn't expensive. I couldn't find anything that seemed to fit the bill. I decided to try a little experiment. I had an old wooden tray, that I had decoupaged a few years ago, that had just been sitting in my drawer. I wasn't thrilled with the way it turned out. I screwed in a few vintage-y drawer knobs, put some picture hooks on the back, and voila...a necklace/bracelet holder that my cats cannot get to. I like it so far. It's nice to see my pretty shiney things hanging up on the wall.


I didn't get to keep my sense of accomplishment for long, however. Petey, in a grand effort to maintain the equilibrium of broken things in our house, somehow managed to pop a pane out of one of our basement windows and go for a little midnight stroll outside. Literally, midnight. We spent that night, cold and with excessive wind warnings, running around outside with flashlights looking for Petey. He sauntered home eventually. Bastard. The window has a temporary fix right now, but we will have to do the industrial window fix on that and all basement windows (as a future preventive). I still cannot figure out how that cat managed to pop an entire pane of glass out of a window without any glass breakage at all!


Now I'm off to go hang with my man, since we haven't had a chance to chat about our respective days, and he'll be asleep soon!

No comments :