Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Two on Tuesday plus some venting


Going...













going...














gone











I did not have to work today, although it was a little weird. I left my house at the same time, took the same route, parked in one of my normal parking ramps, but instead of going to work, I went to the capital to play lobbyist. It was a little more enjoyable ride than a normal work day too, as Les and Allegrea were with me. We got to break up the day with lunch at Buraka. I ordered the misirwot. They have many very good vegan dishes, but that one is my favorite. My normal lunch is a half sandwich and an apple, so it was wonderful to be able to enjoy good food with two of my favorite people. The delicious food and quick, good service made up for the fact that it was a long-ish, cold walk in the rain. We spent the rest of the day wet but were still happy that we went--it was so worth it!
I will definitely be lobbying again in the future, even though the whole process sickened me. I've worked very hard to establish a life in which I could be completely authentic. I love the luxury of being who I am and absolutely abhor being fake and dishonest. I had to be both today. It's part of the political game and the only way to push legislation through the ridiculously broken and clunky political system. The senators, representatives, and staffers with whom we met were also masters of the game. I felt like I needed to shower when I left the capital. Partly because of their disingenuous smarminess and partly because of my own. I lied like a rug. It's necessary for the cause and all's fair in the animal rights war. I hate it, but I will lie, cheat, steal, become violent--whatever it takes to protect the innocent.

Today's 'Two on Tues.' is the truth I wish I could have told today. I need to vent.

1. I used the term, "good, responsible breeders" on more than one occasion. This implies that such a thing exists when it reality it's a complete oxymoron. There is no such thing as a good or a responsible breeder. I couldn't give a shit less why they breed or how much they love their dogs. There are more dogs (and cats) then there are homes--by FAR. When the population of a particular species is way too high, adding any more of that species is irresponsible and destructive to the species as a whole. For every dog these asshole breeders create, another dog will be killed. Period. No excuses, no justifications dismiss the fact that breeders=death.

2. I further elaborated that I didn't wish to have any negative impact on these fictitious "good, responsible breeders". I nearly gagged myself trying to say that, of course with my empathetic facial expression to really show how moderate my stance is. Since breeders are only slightly above the puppy mill bastards in my book, I wish them great negative impact. I would giggle--giggle and celebrate--any hardships that the dog pimps encounter. I'm so very glad that I have marketable skills and have been able to earn money for using my brain instead of being such a worthless person that I have to pimp dogs to make a living!


I feel a little less sleazy now that I was able to purge my dishonesty. I will need a couple of months before I am able to pretend to be a moderate animal welfare pansy and pander to people who know less than me, do less than me, and make money more than me. I need to atone with protests, direct action, doing bad things for good reasons, and just enjoy the hell out of being my angry radical activist self. I am an animal rights abolitionist NOT an animal welfarist, dammit!

I babbled much more than I meant to on a Tuesday. It's been a long day, but M & L won't be home until 9:45 or so. He was giving a talk at Olbrich tonight, and since I had to teach, he took L with him. Since I have been alone since I came home from my class, I did all the animal care chores and then had to decide whether I should be productive doing more chores or spend a little more time blogging. They just walked in the door now, and I am going to finish blogging. I'm oh-so-very sad that I don't have any time left to do chores now. ;-)

2 comments :

em for mighty said...

doesn't it feel nice to speak your mind & public opinion be damned? im so tired of worrying what people think or who im going to offend. good for you! & i agree. why don't we just stop killing the animals we have (&, of course making sure those animals are cared for/protected) instead of making more?

VeganMom said...

It does feel good to be real! The best part of getting old is the freedom to be myself without caring.