Wednesday, May 06, 2009

The death of one is a tragedy but the death of millions is just a statistic



Petey, hiding in a box Luciana decorated and put on our old cat tree.

It's looking dreary and stormy outside, and I've had a sinus headache for two damn days. I wish it would just storm and be done with it. I enjoy thunderstorms, except for the inevitable part where Jezebel gets scared and craps all over. Storms & dog crap: inextricably linked.

Today was a little frustrating. It started out with a cluster and hasn't improved terribly. I left the house and got Luciana and Chloe dropped off and was heading to I90 to go to work, ahead of schedule for a change. I got almost out of town and realized that I did not have my cell phone. UGH. I just know as soon as I leave town without my phone, it will be the day that my car breaks down on the interstate or my child gets hurt and I can't be reached. So I turned around to go back home and grab it. So much for being ahead of schedule. I finally made it to I90 with my phone about 10 minutes behind my normal schedule. I made decent time on the interstate (which means I was able to break 80 most of the way), and the beltline was pretty painless. Then I hit John Nolan, which for some unknown reason was backed way the hell up, turning my original 10 minute delay into a 19 minute delay.

By the time I arrived at my regular parking lot, it was full. I had to drive to another parking ramp and slowly drive all the way up to the top level to find a spot. It's a more expensive ramp, too. I finally made it in to work a little late, which really matters to nobody but me, but still!

I've spent the last two days at work fighting with Java. I have everything I need working except one small and ridiculously frustrating issue. I am obsessed with it. I absolutely hate to leave on Weds. and start my 'weekend' with an outstanding issue like that. I will be obsessed with it until I can get back at it on Monday. I did squeeze in a little time to run to the Farmer's Market with Sarita, which is our usual Weds. routine. I was working on THE ISSUE, so delayed our FM trip until lunchtime, optimistically hoping to have it resolved by then. I was wrong. Because we went so much later, I almost missed the organic greens for my bunnies. My usual guy was sold out, but I found some from another vendor. I got more of the habanero salsa that I got last week. It was great, and Dej said it was the best salsa ever, so I had to get her a jar.

I left work late, again, trying to get this problem wrapped up before I had to leave. I finally gave up and left, so it will be waiting for me Monday morning (when I have lots of other high priority things to take care of too). I walked almost all the way to my normal parking lot in the nasty humidity before I remembered that I had to park in a different ramp, which was of course in the opposite direction. I changed direction and made the long walk to my car.

M. had to work late tonight and is still working, because he scheduled a daylily divide. I was looking forward to some time with just L and me, but Hunter came over right away when we got home. They've had a great time, so I've been working on homeschooling material, trying to be productive.

Chloe is currently barking her fool head off, because she is no longer able to run around in the big fence. She is limited to the dog potty area (the big kennel behind the garage) or supervised leash play in the back. Last night I came running downstairs after hearing L & M shouting for me. There's Chloe in the middle of the living room, looking quite proud, with tiny feet hanging out of her mouth. Fuck. There's no way this can end well. She dropped her new "toy", which was by this time a very dead baby rabbit--no more than a day or two old. I felt so horrible and guilty. She found our annual bunny nest before I did, and a baby died because of it. I should have known better than to let her run in the big fence like that, as we have a nest of bunnies in the north-side garden every spring. L & I grabbed the one remaining flashlight from the kitchen (despite owning at least 10 of them, she & H regularly abscond with them and they rarely reappear) and went out to see if there was more carnage outside. We found the nest and were pleased to see that there were still several babies in there, and they were all breathing. We didn't disturb them. We brought out a load of hay, some fresh veggies, and some rabbit pellets and left them all near the nest. It's the best I could do to make ammends for what happened. I was pleased to see that mommy rabbit used a lot of the hay to better insulate and cover her nest. Until those babies are gone, Chloe is going to be a pissed off pup. I hope she doesn't spend the next three weeks standing at the back door barking endlessly to go play outside!

M just made it home, so I need to go visit with him while he eats dinner. In a couple of short hours, we will be watching LOST. I'm still hoping that somehow Daniel isn't permanently dead. I'm not sure how that would work, but I can't stand the last thought that sweet guy had was looking up in his mother's face as she broke his heart by shooting him. They just can't "end" him with such sad last words!

No comments :