Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day









Sunday was another busy day, and despite us fantasizing about taking a nap all day, we never got time. We didn’t even manage to get through our weekend chores, so we were miles away from napping! We went to my mom’s late morning, for a quick cookout with them, our girls, Joe and his mom.

As soon as we finished our lunch, we all piled in and went to the UW Arboretum. Since M & I were there just the week before, we knew it would still be gorgeous and full of blooming trees. The prairie had been burned recently, so there wasn’t much too look at there. My parents, Joe & his Mom (Fran) had never been to the Arboretum. It’s such a gorgeous place, that we were excited to share it with them. We had a wonderful time, and enjoyed the beauty of nature and the great family time. Everyone got along all day and had fun, and besides a completely clean house (didn’t get that), that was the only Mother’s Day gift I really wanted!

We came home, where M & I took care of our animal duties and then returned right away to my parents’ house for dessert and Mother’s Day cards/gifts. My brother and his family came later in the evening for dessert. L got me a dolphin air freshener for my car and an owl necklace. D got me some beautiful roses. As soon as we got home from the parents that evening, H came over to play with L. It’s a rough day for him, so we let them play later than usual while we worked on chores. Poor H made a clay figurine for his mom and set it by her ashes, so she could have a Mother’s Day present. That absolutely broke my heart! In retrospect, I feel horrible and thoughtless for not thinking to include him in our day’s plans. I’m just sick that I never thought about it until after we returned—I feel like shit about it. :(

After I got L tucked in for the night, we continued to work on chores until we were sick and tired of it. Then we hung out with D & Joe until they had to leave town. A brief update on the kittens… Dej & Joe are moving back to town and will be in their new place on June 1. It’s only four blocks away from me and it’s on the street we lived on before we bought our current house. It’s a nice size place and has two bedrooms, so they decided that they have enough space to commit to keeping both remaining kittens along with Sparta (mommy). They’ve named the little girl Tallulah, but they usually call her Tillie. The little boy is named Allistair Milo. L wanted him to be named Milo and has called him that since she met him. D & J wanted to name him Allistair, though they thought Milo was a cute name too. In the interest of compromise and family peace, his official name is Allistair Milo. Dej & Joe call him Allistair, and L calls him Milo. He’s a very mellow and unflappable little guy who’s become increasingly cuddly in recent weeks. Tillie is not nearly as mellow and definitely exhibits primadonna tendencies.

No comments :