Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Tonight was completely uneventful, quiet, and wonderful! I left work this afternoon after having gotten the best of the Java problem I've been struggling with for a couple of weeks, so I left work feeling good about life. I made it all the way home without having to look at any murdered deer piled on the back of an asshole redneck chickenfucker's truck. In November in WI, that's pretty lucky.

My mom, Luce, and I stopped by for a brief visit with a friend, who made a beautiful purse for L. Then back home to make dinner and take care of critter chores. I worked hard and fairly efficiently and had all of my chores and dinner cleanup done by 6:30. That left L and I with time to work on sewing our owls. Lila decided that she wanted to play 'catch the thread', as I was trying to sew. That made it quite challenging.

We then moved on to a game of chess. I did not want to play chess, but she did. We're at a tough stage with the chess. She is at a point where she needs to start working on her strategy and planning ahead, in addition to remembering to keep an eye on what her opponent is up to. My usual non-competitive game playing doesn't work well with chess, and it doesn't serve her well. I know that if I want her to be a good player (or even just a better player), I have to step up the game and not just let her win, or let it end in a draw. I do not like to beat her at all. At anything. It makes me feel shitty and it's not fun. I took it less easy on her tonight, (though I still gave her hints and let her take one move back) because I want her to learn and improve. I really wish someone else could take over the chess, though. It's important that she learn to be a respectable and a strategic player, so I will stick with it...at least until I can find and recruit a teacher for her who doesn't mind winning!


Lila and Charlie snoozed on the couch near us, and Basil had a blast playing in the box that their cat food came in.Last but certainly not least important--We watched Monty Python's Holy Grail for our family movie on Sunday night. It's the first time L has seen any M.P. She liked it (yay, the family tradition continues!), so we think this year that we'll take both girls to Spamalot. We didn't want to get tickets and take her only to find she didn't really like the humor, but she's seen it advertised and been asking to go. Dej has been wanting to see it since we went a few years ago and loved it. We're excited to go as a family for the first time!

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

HI ..ur cat is very charming ..It reminds me to my cat. I lost her few years ago. Her name Maya..