Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Get LOST!

I slept decently last night but woke up feeling like I hadn’t slept at all AND with a crappy headache. I hate that! The snowy drive in to work wasn’t too bad, except that the last 10 miles of my journey took an hour. I hate that, too! I was stressed from so much car time and arriving 45 minutes late. At least I was early enough to still find parking. It’s not an issue from work’s perspective (I stay 10, 20, 30 minutes late quite frequently, so it balances out), but just personally I feel kind of ‘off’ for the whole day.

I’m having a hard time focusing today, too, because this is THE day. The day I have waited 8 long months for. Happy Groundhog Day. ;-D Ha, just kidding. Happy LOST Day!! We are taping (yes, taping, for we do not have fancy things like Tivo or DVR or even a flat screen tv--oh, the horror!) the show between 8-10, and will watch it at 10. It sucks to have to wait the extra two hours to watch it, but it’s the only way. We have to wait until our girl is in bed and at least a portion of the animals are sleeping/settled down, or we would be constantly interrupted by the chaos, and that just cannot happen while LOST is on. As excited as I am about this, and oh, I AM excited, it’s very bittersweet, because this is the last season. Thinking about life without LOST makes me sad, so I’ll stop now.

L & I are reading Stephen & Lucy Hawking’s second book in the series for kids:
George’s Cosmic Treasure Hunt. It’s as good as the last one. We’re about halfway through it, and I look forward to our nightly reading aloud time as much as she does. We’ve had some great conversations, and often can’t even finish our chapter, because we end up having such interesting discussions. It’s a great mix of educational science concepts and a fictional story, that engrosses the child (and the mother, in my case) in the story, allowing them to learn without ever being bored or cognizant of the fact that they are learning physics, astronomy, etc. We’ve had some great talks about how amazing it is that the light from the stars that may not even exist now; what was in this physical/spatial location before the big bang; if the universe is steadily expanding, what is it expanding into—the kind of questions that drove me nuts when I was her age. I had to wait until I got to college to get satisfactory answers for many of my questions. Some of those questions still drive me nuts, and it’s doubtful that I will ever find the answers I seek, but it’s still fun to try to figure it all out. L has some very imaginative and creative answers to such weighty questions. It’s a ton of fun to brainstorm with her about these topics!


This is another new-ish shirt I love wearing. All four of us (the nuclear family) got one and they are so soft and comfy. They were made by a friend of a friend. There are probably some left, so if you're interested, let me know.


M took L sledding tonight before her gymnastics (and while I was teaching my class). They reported that it was fun, but the hill was super icy and really hard to climb. He leaves tomorrow for the rest of the week, so it's nice that she got a little extra daddy time. She misses him a lot when he's gone. He will be traveling a TON this year, so we'll have lots of girl time!
In 10 minutes, I will be watching LOST. I must go prepare.

No comments :