Sunday, January 30, 2011

Thus conscience does make cowards of us all

Tonight was rather exciting for me. We had family movie night and the movie was...duh duh duh duuuuhhhh...Hamlet (Branagh's of course--there is no other in my book). It's L's first time seeing it, which is very exciting for me. It was especially well timed for me, as I've been really distressed over the Egypt situation and have had a rough weekend as a result. Only something I love as much as Hamlet could keep my mind off all unpleasantness for over two hours!


We will have to finish the movie tomorrow, as it's four hours, and we have about 1.5 left. I actually intended to be very productive and blog while I watched. I normally always do something else while I'm watching tv and most movies. My brain likes a lot of things to work on/focus on at one time--not just one. I found though that no matter how many times I've seen this movie, I still can't look away to do anything else--especially while Kenneth is on screen. I love him.

L's current memory work (for school--memorization is very important to her brain and will help it immensely throughout life) is the 'To be or not to be' soliloquy from Hamlet, so I thought she should see the movie so she could place it in context and understand the emotion in it. Much to her dismay, when she memorizes poetry (or something like this), she is required to recite it with the proper feeling and emotion. No sing-songy or monotone recitations will pass! This is a really long piece, but she can do it. She committed to learning it within four weeks.

L was supposed to be tidying up her room, and she came downstairs looking like this.

She enjoyed a little downtime this weekend after H left and snuggled up with her stuffed wolf and finished reading The Jungle Book which went along with last week's history lesson on 18th-19th century India. (She always has one or more books that complement her history lesson(s). I'm a lit lover who believes the best way to learn and really understand history is to read both fiction and non-fiction preferably written in or about that region in that time period.)

No comments :