Monday, June 25, 2007

Manic Monday


UGH! Vacation is officially over, and I had to return to work today. I returned to the same unrealistically early deadlines and problems that I left. All day I just wanted to be home with my family, and I worried about the kittens. Dej was caring for them and took the feeding/medication shift I missed, but I just feel better when I'm with them. I miss the cute little buggers, too.
When I returned from work, I picked Luciana up from my mom's, and then we had to go pick up more of Harley's prescription cat food and stop at Walgreens. We got back home right after Mark had returned from work and from picking up our monthly food co-op order. That's never a fun job, but since we want to eat... I grated the soy cheeses for dinner and decided to knock one of my evening chores off while the pasta was cooking and give Oliver his meds. He has to take three pills for his urinary problems, and they have been increasingly hard to get in him. I slathered up the pills in Tofutti (non-dairy) sour cream and got the soy canadian bacon all ready for his after-pill treat. I got the first pill down, and it all went to hell after that. He decided that there was no way I was getting any more pills in. While I wrestled with him, trying to get the second pill in, Jasper and Petey showed up and started licking the sour cream off the other pill that was on the paper towel next to me. After multiple failures, and losing copious quantities of blood, I called Dej for help. I got part of the two pills down him--the remaining portions of them had crumbled and were smeared (with sour cream) all over me. I have lots of very painful bites and scratches all over my hands and legs. He's such a sweet little guy, but I guess he made up his mind that he had taken enough pills.

I had three non-bleeding fingers with which I could stuff the pasta shells. That really sucked. Everyone ate and seemed to enjoy dinner, but it was kind of ruined for me after the trauma and discomfort of preparing it. After dinner, I lost L. again to playing outside with Hunter. Mark went down to work on drawing--he has a plan that he wants done by the end of this week. Dej returned to her room to do whatever it is she does in the dirty pit. I decided as long as I was abandoned to go outside and weed. I made some progress but it was slow and incredibly painful, as my fingers kept re-opening and bleeding. Oh, the joy of this Monday.

L. and I spent some time with the Harley and the kittens before bed, and we had our reading time in there. We couldn't find little girl kitten anywhere and were tearing up the room looking, while getting more and more concerned. Finally L. heard something and called my attention to it. The little bugger had climbed up inside the lazy boy chair that's in L.'s room. I had it blocked off but barriers are meaningless to these kittens. She came right out on her own, fortunately. They have taken to playing "King of the Mountain" on top of the cat carrier that's in the room. Since it's a soft carrier, they scamper right up the side to the top and they love to wrestle and play up there. They like to try to knock the other off, but it's not very high and the carpeting is soft, so they just land and scramble right back up to the top. They are into everything and just too cute for words!

I was hoping to take more pics of them tonight to post, but time is not working in my favor. I still have another feeding/medicating to do tonight, and I have a ton of database work to do for the Alliance, so I'm heading down now to work on that while Mark draws. I have another camping pic to post instead though.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

what tattoo is on your left arm?? i can't tell in the picture

VeganMom said...

It's a tree with all kinds of critters, and it says, "Respect all Beings". I'll post a pic of it soon for you. I love it. My girlfriend, Allegrea, designed it for me and her hubby inked me.