Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Two cool cats on a hot summer day


Petey has decided that his favorite spot is on the top of the refrigerator or freezer door, so as soon as one of them is open, he immediately jumps on top and lies down. I guess Jasper decided since Petey was doing it, he would find a comfy spot inside the fridge (see bottom shelf). That's one way to keep cool in this very hot weather!

Our week has consisted primarily of work during the day and weeding and planting in the evenings. We are trying desperately to get all our plants in the ground before we leave for our camping trip Friday. Tonight we made a pretty good dent in the planting. I think we will be able to finish it up tomorrow--maybe. The bunnies are continuing to grow in their nest in our north-side garden. There's not too much cuter than baby bunnies! One has been creeping out into the garden to snack a bit. I picked up some greens at the farmer's market today to split between the outside bunnies and our bunny, Thumper, and our guinea pig, Annabella.

Luciana has been playing with Hunter. So much, in fact, that I miss her! She's having so much fun, though. Tonight while I was planting, they were giving each other rides in the wheelbarrow. They never seem to run out of things to do and their frequent giggles are the CUTEST! I'm so glad she has a friend to enjoy the summer with, but secretly, I would love to have her all to myself again.

Dej worked last night but other than that, she has started her summer off with a flurry of social activity. She's either gone or we have a houseful of teenagers. While sometimes it gets a little loud and irritating, it's cute for the most part. Many of her friends are guys, and they are so funny. Last night as four teen boys traipsed through the door, with their hair artfully longish and hanging over one eye, I was struck by how quiet and different our lives will be soon enough. I think I will actually miss the chaos. She will be in college soon and out of the house all too soon. Sometimes, I wish she was out now (usually during that one special week of the month), but when I think about how quickly it is coming, it really freaks me out!

Tomorrow, I will begin another adventure as a foster mommy to four three-week old kittens and their previously lost but newly found mommy. It didn't start out this way--it was initially two kittens who needed hand feeding and fostering, and one of the two was the runt and extremely sick. Long story, but now it's turned into so much more than that. I have about six weeks to find placement for five beautiful cats, who I know I will be deeply in love with. I've already started putting feelers out. I'm a bit overwhelmed by it, but I have faith that it will all turn out wonderfully, okay, sometimes I have faith--sometimes I just wonder what the hell is wrong with my brain!

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

what are you going to do with the kittens when you go camping? where are you guys going and for how long? are both the girls going with you? what will L do with out hunter?

VeganMom said...

Dej was going to care for the sick little one, but she just died this morning. The other three kittens are eating from mom, so they won't need too much care. Dej can handle that. She has to work so is staying back--not that she would want to go anyway. I'm sure L will miss H, but we have so much fun camping, she'll live. I feel bad for him being stuck here alone.