Thursday, July 09, 2009

Giddyup partner!

We are in a hotel room in Murdo, SD. After less than four hours of sleep, we left early this morning and drove for ten hours. I'm calling this a trip, because anything that requires me to wake up and leave at 4:30 am and spend the next ten hours in a Toyota Corolla is NOT my idea of a vacation. I've done my time in 'the West', and the only West I enjoy is the West Coast! It's new to M & L, though, so I'm trying to see it for the first time through their eyes.

I miss my babies already, though I know they are well cared for. My mom is doing the majority of care, with Dej & Joe helping out and staying there to 'hold down the fort' (good god! Now I'm talking like a cowboy!) and keep the critters company.

There is nothing to do or see here, though--it's just a pit stop. We've had a relaxing evening swimming and hot tubbing, and now we're kicked back watching Naked Science, and trying to get our girl to go to sleep, so she's not tired for another long day tomorrow.

Dinner was a bit tricky, though. There are 8 restaurants in this itty bitty town, and they are all little hole-in-the-wall mom-and-pop diners. The only vegan option we could find was french fries. Even though they had tacos and enchiladas on the menu at one of the diners, they didn't have beans--only meat fillings. Definitely not the healthiest dinner, but it was enough to sustain us until morning.

Everything in this area is 'Old West'. The whole 'cowboy and indian' theme is, well, ugly and unappealing to me. The hotel we're in (and all of them in the area) are done up in that theme. I have to share the special decor of our room (which is seemingly quite new and very clean and nice besides the ugly decor. We have cowboy bedspreads with matching bedskirts. The lamps all have cowboys on them. The window valance is covered in a cowboy boot pattern, and even the chairs are upholstered with longhorn (?) skulls.


In addition to the stuffed dead animals in the lobby, the halls are decked out with glass display cabinets that contain a very strange collection of dolls. I took some pics of the display case near our room, because I know how much Michael enjoys looking at dolls. ;)

2 comments :

MB said...

What kind of sick horrible hotel would have a bunch a dolls lurking around right outside people's rooms? How could anyone sleep? They're asking for something bad to happen.

em for mighty said...

i went to south dakota in 2003. its definitely another world. beautiful & strange.
good luck finding some healthy, filling vegan food.