Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Two on Tuesday

Tuesdays are tough, with the later class this semester. Instead of my usual 5:30 class, this semester it's at 7:00, which seems to make for a much longer day. Plus I lost out on one of the benefits of my 5:30 class, which was not having to make dinner. Now I come home from working in Madison, make dinner, go to class, and get home at 8:45-9:00. The class itself is great though. I seem to have another good group of students, which makes the class pretty enjoyable for me.

Okay, back to my two. Luciana taught me some very cool things about gerbils that she gleaned in her research. We all think Botswana is the coolest little guy!

1. Gerbils are very social and love to interact. They will respond to a wink by winking back. We've tested this, and it works everytime with Botsi.

2. Gerbils purr when they are content/happy. The first time Botsi did this, we didn't yet know gerbils purred. We thought he was frightened and quivering and felt really bad. Now that we know he's happy, we get very excited when he purrs while being held and petted.

No comments :