Thursday, September 24, 2009

Wednesday

It's been such a busy week! I think I'll have to do a few separate posts, or this will be epic--even for me. Wednesday, I took the day off to attend the public hearing on the 'puppy mill bill' (AB250/SB208). Allegrea and I rode together. Unfortunately, Les couldn't go. We got there early enough that we were able to go to the farmer's market and get lots of good produce and of course we grabbed some vegan apricot bars and some vegan chocolate muffins.

We got to the hearing fairly early and were surprised to see that the large room was almost full already. We found two seats together and were even happier to see that we ended up being right near Eilene R-R (from the No WI Puppy Mills project) and a large group of our side. There were around 300 people there, with the vast majority being there to support the bill (yay!), and only a few opposing. Those very few who spoke in opposition of the bill did more harm to their own cause than good. It was perfect and quit entertaining. The bill is on pretty solid footing now, with the only threat of not passing being due to budget issues. We just have to keep contacting our representatives and hoping for the best now.

One of the most notable dog pimps there was an old man--well into his 60's, probably closer to 70. He spiffed himself up in his finest fancy wear for court. He was wearing jeans that were somewhat clean, a white button-up shirt that was stained with yellowish areas (sweat?, urine?, probably best that we don't know what it was), red suspenders and a color coordinated red, whit, and blue trucker hat. The trucker hat was the piece de resistance, and he kept it firmly upon his head throughout the entire proceedings. The hat had printed front and center in bright red letters, wait for it...this is priceless...

PUSSY FARMER
and proud of it!

We tried to get a photo of it with our phones, but were unable to get one in which you can see and read the logo. It was pretty special, and he made a great representative for a group of people who pay for dogs to have sex, so they can sell their babies into an overpopulated world.

The hearing was scheduled to go from 10-1, but it went until 2:45. No breaks. No food. It made for a long day. We cried--some of the testimony was heartbreaking, and they had a fantasticly huge blown up picture of one of the precious mill survivors who didn't make it. It was very emotional. By the end, we had been through this emotional roller coaster, we were tired and hungry, and we started to get the giggles.

I was too keyed up to sleep Tuesday night, so I was super tired and wishing for a nap after the hearing. In reality, though, I got home in time to clean up and put away my farmer's market goodies, and then run straight out to meet M at a volunteer dinner at the gardens.

After the dinner, I came home and read to L and got her and the animals all settled for bed. Then I went over to Dej's to hang out with her for a while and to get some new pictures of my grandkitties. They've grown a ton since I last took pics of them. As always, within two minutes of my sitting on the couch and setting my water down, Tallulah (Tillie) had stolen and mangled my straw. Sparta, Tillie, and Allistair showed off their athletic prowess in chasing the laser until poor little Allistair got so tired he was panting.


Myrtle is still really shy with me, so she stayed in the cat room, but was fine with letting me pet her when I went in to visit her.

No comments :