Monday, May 21, 2007

Back to the grind


Today found me back at work after a long (not productive) weekend. Mark and my baby left Saturday for a Dwyer visit, and they didn't return until after Luciana's bedtime Saturday. Dejanique had to work Saturday and Sunday, and Brandon was here Saturday night. I got the lucky job of staying home to play chauffeur and to babysit Dejanique and the animals. At this point, we don't feel it would be wise to leave D. home alone for any significant length of time--especially over the weekend. That's just asking for trouble.

We did get to spend a little more time together than we usually do on the weekends, so that was good. She went to the BTC graduation with me Saturday afternoon, as some of my former students were graduating and were hoping I could attend. We went to Carrie's graduation party afterward. It was at the Hog Cabin--a (Harley) biker bar. Denny, Orinda, Dejanique and I got there first and were a bit trepidatious about going in and sticking out like sore thumbs. I had a sleeveless shirt on, which revealed five of my six tattoos, so the joke was that at least I fit in there. :) I had too much to drink, which I NEVER do. I managed to get down a whopping 2.5 beers, which was enough to get me tipsy. I had to sit there for an hour eating crackers and tostitos, so I was good to drive home. How embarrassing. It was enough to make me feel pretty crappy after I got home--sleepy, headachey, nauseous--and remind me again why I don't drink much. Denny stayed at the party longer than we did (had to get home for Brandon's visit) and came over to hang with us after he left the party. The four of us hung out and chatted for a while and had a nice time. After Brandon left at midnight-ish, Dej and I talked and stayed up way too late.

Sunday was full of chores and grading those finals I put off last week. We had a WAEN executive meeting also. It's always great to see Allegrea, Les, and Jason. Jordan, Les's 17 yr old cat, honored me with her presence in my lap throughout most of the meeting. We went out to see Les's pergola being built while Alfie (her dog) showed off for all of us. I just love her furry kids! Her yard and pond were looking gorgeous. It was not a fun day, other than that part. I was so happy my girl finally came home, but it was quite late, so she had to go to bed. I let her stay in our bed, since I hadn't seen her, so of course Mark and I didn't get much rest last night.

Mark took Luciana to her theater class tonight. I was planning to take her, as I usually do, but someone needed to stay here with the kids (Dej & Brandon). Mark did not want to do that. I am really missing L, though. I'm still in withdrawal from this weekend and can't wait until they return. I took a quick blog break but need to get back out and weed some more before they get back. I am realizing that no matter how much I week, I simply can't keep ahead of the garden. I don't think it's a one-person job.

Okay, back from weeding. I must have pulled another 10 pounds of weeds tonight. I cleared out the rock garden, the rose garden, part of Luciana's crescent garden, the patio, and a section of the north garden. My arms are both ripped open and bloody--unavoidable when weeding in the rose garden. Things are blooming and looking beautiful already (except the weeds!). Tonight's picture is of one of the clematis (Nelly Moser) flowers in the north garden.

I guess now it's time to go break up the fight between Luciana and Ivan. She's using the furminator on him (works great!), and he loves it for a while but then when he's had enough, he turns into a giant ass. She picks back, and they will go on fighting like siblings, teasing and taunting. Ivan gets a scolding, and I get to take my girl up to read our bedtime chapters.

No comments :