Monday, May 14, 2007

It's only Monday :(


And I have two more days to wait until the next heartstopping episode of LOST. I neglected to mention Wednesday's episode, partially because when I think about it (which is often), the first words that come to mind are WTF!! They are in all caps, because the phrase must be yelled! The other reason is that my parents are watching season 2, trying to get caught up, and I don't want to slip out anything that would ruin it for them. But really, WTF!! Who/what is Jacob. I have no doubt that Locke will rise to be a major player in the season finale, so I'm not worried about him. His is my favorite character, and if TPTB even think about killing Locke off before the last episode, well, it's just too ugly to contemplate. I've watched the last episode twice, and after some things I saw on the message board, I will probably need to watch it again to catch some things I may have missed. I am hopelessly and utterly addicted to this show. It, along with The Office, is the only prime time TV we watch (or are aware of, for that matter). We tape the shows and watch them late at night, so they don't cut into our family time. Thank god Mark and I both vehemently agree that we will not veg out in front of the tv everynight and teach our kids (by our poor example) to live passively. So, it's a bit of a dichotomy that we have such negative opinions of most TV fare, and of the passive American TV lifestyle, but so deeply and truly love LOST.
Picture above is another shot from our Mother's Day lunch at Olive Garden. Doesn't Dej look thrilled to pose for a picture with my brother?

It was strange, yet refreshing, to only have to go to Madison this morning. I still have to grade finals, but other than that, my class is finished. That means I get to Madison earlier in the morning, so I get home earlier. It was wonderful to have the extra time tonight. I had time to make dinner (without being in a rush), chat with Luciana, do a crossword puzzle with Luciana (still working on the sea turtle conservation curriculum unit), feed the dogs and cats, eat, and still get her to her theater class on time. It was just the two of us, as Mark decided to go to measure for one of his landscape consulting clients, and Dej and Brandon went to hang out with Levi and Jessica. It was early release, and we were supremely uncool by saying that she and Brandon could not hang out here alone for two hours. No point in asking for trouble ;)

Luciana isn't enjoying theater class as much as we thought she would. She gets very upset, apparently, that whenever it's her turn to choose and act something out, she wants to be an animal, but her teacher says, "No animals, we need to be people." L. says whenever they start the activity, Elsie (her teacher) says they can be anything they choose. "Anything, mom!" But when she starts acting as an animal, Elsie says she has to be a person. L. says the teacher is "crushing her creativity." She further elaborated that whenever she works with a partner, she is always nice and says, "What would you like to do?", but then the partner gets "all bossy and then I become a small ant and they just smash my creativity. It's growing smaller and smaller." Those are Luciana's exact words--I had to jot them down quickly when she told me that, as it was so cute. My poor, dramatic baby!

I read the Rock County Humane Society's newsletter today and several articles from my "Off Our Backs" magazine (one of my favorite). They both kind of bummed me out. There are so many beings who have so little and need so much. I'm feeling very helpless, which is definitely my least favorite way to feel. I also finished the book, "The Secret", while waiting for Luciana at her theater class. It was a decent book. I agree with it, and believe that it works, but I didn't really run across anything completely new. I suppose that's the point of the book--that it's talking about ancient universal laws. I have a hard time focusing on the positive, rather than the negative, so I did view the book as a good reminder to me to try to focus on the positive, thereby creating more positive. I'm trying to figure out how I can apply this thinking to the animal rights movement. It's not coming together for me yet. I may have to ask Allegrea and Les to read it, and see if they can help me see how to apply this. There is so very little that's positive when one considers the state of most animals' existences (and the complicity or complete ambivalence of must humans if/when they bother to consider it).

No comments :