Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day!


We had a decent day, despite the cool, overcast, rainy weather. This morning was rushed, as I needed to get all my Sunday chores done before 11:00 a.m., so we could get to Milwaukee in time for dinner. Michael had a "thing" at his church, since it was his last day there, and my parents went to his church. We surprised my mom by meeting them all for lunch at Olive Garden in Milwaukee, so she could have the whole family together. The penne arrabiata is definitely better at the Janesville O.G. than Milwaukee--there was barely any garlic and it wasn't spicy. I live for the tons and tons of garlic that Janesville puts in the sauce. We didn't have too much of a wait, though, where in Janesville, we would NEVER have gotten a table for 11 on Mother's Day! I got a very cute hand-painted cat from Luciana, a bird feeder (which I really needed) from Dejanique, and a coupon for a free tattoo from Mark. I don't have any inspirations yet for another tattoo, so I will hold on to it until an idea hits.

My parents came by this evening with some chocolate/fudgy cake for dessert, as we were all too full to have dessert at Olive Garden. As soon as we finished our cake, Dejanique left with some friends to go play frisbee golf. I guess at her age, I can't expect her to spend a WHOLE day with me--that's just torture. If she is indeed frolfing, I'm very happy that she's doing something outside that's healthy and active. You never really know what a teen is doing, though, once they are out of sight. Luciana spent a good portion of the evening playing with her cats/lions and an empty two gallon water jug (with five holes in the bottom--she was very specific that it should have five holes) in the bathtub.

As I think about and reflect on mother's day, I'm very grateful that I had a wonderful, loving mother, who helped me navigate the world and become a good mother to my own children. I'm grateful also that my husband was lucky enough to have a good mother, too, who helped him become a wonderful husband and father. Our children are beyond blessed to have two fantastic Grandmas, and anyone who knows me, knows that I think good Grandmas are about the greatest gift in the world! I love that I have the coolest kids ever! I wanted girls, and I got girls--not just girls, but two very unique, fun, talented, bright girls. They are both like me in some ways and very unlike me in many ways, and it intrigues me to watch them develop.
I want to help my girls be the best they each can be, without changing any of their unique attributes. I hope I am able to help them experience as much as possible without experiencing anything that will close doors for future possibilities. I want them, when they go out on their own, to walk into a life that has so many possibilities that they can choose from, that they are free to pursue the best path for them. I hope that I can protect them from any experiences/mistakes that may close doors for them. I hope that in the course of living their lives, they remember that the reason we are here at all is to try to make the world a better place than it was when we got here. Sometimes I get overwhelmed and wonder if I am doing anything right! I guess with motherhood, it's all about trusting your gut instincts, having a lot of faith, and saying the serenity prayer--sometimes several times a day! I have no doubt whatsoever that, even including the mistakes she made, she ALWAYS did the very best she could, and she always had my best interest at heart. I think, most of all though, I hope my girls can always say the same of me.

No comments :