Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Garden gold

Mushroom compost. We had 12 yards delivered this morning. It's time to ammend our soil again. We used to compost every other year, but then our soil became too rich and was causing some problems. Now we ammend every 3-4 years, which seems to be just about right for our soil. It still strikes me as strange to purchase shit. Sure it's fancy shit, but still.

For the foreseeable future, we will be working on distributing this throughout the garden. It's a ton of shovelling, and I usually end up with lots of blisters, along with a sore back. I don't mind the shovelling nearly as much as the preliminary work, which requires us to rake off all of the mulch before we spread the compost. Then once the compost is spread nicely and evenly over all the gardens, we have to reapply the mulch that we raked off. We're supposed to get rain all weekend. That should make it really interesting.

Mark is at a talk tonight, and Luciana just returned from Hunter's house. I have a night of fun to look forward to. L and I are going to read some Trixie Belden before bed, while hanging out with the birds and rabbits, and of course Botswana. LOST is taping right now, and once she's all snuggled into her bed with Chloe, M & I will watch LOST with Daisy and Jezebel. M also got me my very favorite vegan ice cream--Purely Decadent peanut butter zig zag--that I will enjoy while watching LOST. I love this night!

Today was pretty good as well. My work week ended with me completing a project I've been working on for way too long. I promised to have it done before I left today, and I got it done with a half hour to spare. It was pretty kick-ass awesome, too, so I left on a high note. And while Hunter was here earlier, he decided to crawl around in the back of my closet with a flashlight (he likes to clean and organize things), and he found Tica's missing collar.

No comments :