Sunday, April 26, 2009


My date-night surprise on Saturday consisted of us having dinner at Dobhan and going to see the UW Madison's Mad Hatters performance. We braved the chilly, rainy weather and went to Madison after dropping L. & Chloe off at my parents' for the night.

We enjoyed dinner at Dobhan, a Nepalese restaurant with many of the same dishes we love at Chautura. I didn't make it through my dinner, so I brought it home in a box to enjoy later. I had dal, samosas, vegetable pakaudas, and the entree, masala dosa. My mouth watered just typing that! Our server was very entertaining and most likely quite stoned. I loved his hair--long and wavy, pulled back into a pony, and a casual bun. We left there and headed to the Overture Center for the performance (I still had no idea what we were seeing). It was raining. It's been a rough weekend for my hair, but more on that later.

Neither of us knew that the first act of the show was Marcus Monroe. He came out onto the stage juggling, and I'm thinking, "really?" So he continued his act which was surprisingly very cool. He did some really amazing shit. Some of it was very stressful and way too dangerous for me to feel comfortable watching. It was extremely impressive though. He's a very talented and entertaining man who has clearly worked very hard at his passion. We especially enjoyed him juggling funky stuff with lights on it, on a dark stage with techno music cranked up. We could have watched that for much longer than he performed it! After the intermission, the Mad Hatters performed.

The show was very fun. There was a nice assortment of music, and the guys were very good. There were a couple that we really enjoyed--strangely enough--they both sported rather unique moustaches and sideburns. One of the guys did some awesome beatboxing. We were really glad we went. The drive home was no fun--it was very dark and rainy--poor Mark! It was definitely a great night that was worth the less than fun drive.

Back to the hair. I'm still pretty traumatized about the hair. It happened on Friday. While dialoging with my new (first visit, though Dej has gone to her since Jen moved away) beautician about how to cut my hair, I went along with bangs. It was fully my decision, however I was feeling old, bored, in need of a change. Bangs seemed like a good idea at the time. After Jenny cut the bangs, I looked in the mirror and got this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, "wtf was I thinking?!?" Too late. I quickly came to grips with the thought that, "it's only hair. It will grow back." When I left the salon, I thought the hair was cute, but I didn't feel that I looked like, "me" at all. I just looked strange. Not bad or good, just WAY different. I haven't had bangs for about 18 years. The humid rainy weather we've had along with the hotflashes that increase with the warm weather, have reminded me quickly why I haven't had bangs for so long. They want to be very, very curly. In very strange directions. I can no longer get up, spend three minutes on my hair, and leave the house. It requires about 15 minutes to straighten the bangs, but there's no real guarantee that they'll cooperate. I wanted different, and I certainly got it. The hair and I will come to some agreement in the near future. We just need a little adjustment time.

We're currently watching a movie (Netflix) called, "The Jacket", with Adrian Brody. I keep getting sidetracked from my blogging, and this movie is freaking me the hell out. My chest hurts from being empathetic to his horrible claustrophobic situation. UGH! I must go so I can get fully absorbed in this movie!

No comments :